The Nissan Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
I Don't Drive An Altima
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would it be worth it to take off the valve cover and remove the upper timing chain tensioner to see if the noise gets better? My chain sounds like shit, almost embarassing sometimes. Could i do this myself? I am pretty mechanical and have lowered my car myself and done other work. Thanks.

Aaron.

·
Resistance is futile
1,713 Posts
On this topic, does anyone know if it is the upper guide, or the upper tensioner (different things) that the chain typically rattles on? The guide looks trivial to get at. (Haynes manual pics) The tensioner, not so much. And if the problem is slack in the chain, can't you just adjust/replace the tensioner to take out the slack?

I ask because I was snooping around with it idling the other day and I could hear that it is starting to make the noise.

·
I Don't Drive An Altima
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Me too, I was looking at my manual. My started one day when i was learning to drive on it with my mom ( 2.5 years ago ). It happened after i redlined it to pass a car, getting worse ever since........

·
430 Posts
It is a pain in the ass to adjust the tensioner. There are numerous time-consuming steps and stuff. The upper guide that you can see right on top in the Haynes manual is not necessary at all. At the last Austin/TX meet, Dave Burnette confirmed what I had heard and said to just take it off...it wasn't necessary. I'm gonna take it off on my next day off. Besides...if the noise is coming from right there at the manifold, it's the upper guide. The tensioner would just adjust the slack below that point. Since the cam gears are stationary, whatever slack is in there is gonna stay, regardless of whether or not you adjust the tensioner; since the tensioner is below them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I will be doing the same thing real soon. I guess I should get a new gasket for the valve cover.?. Has anyone done a chane swap on there own?

Later :rolleyes:

·
430 Posts
You'd almost have to pull the engine. The chains run into the oil pan. They're designed to last the life of the engine. Places charge $1000+ to change the chain. I won't be attempting this....

·
11,384 Posts
The upper guide, looks like the number 7, won't change the noise much. I took mine out about a year ago.

The upper tensioner is the main culprit. You can get to it without pulling the engine, but it's still a bitch. Joehotrod explained it to me, but it still seams pretty difficult.

I got a spare engine yesterday, and I'm going to tear it apart and get an idea of the whole timing chain setup.

·
Resistance is futile
1,713 Posts
Peterson said:
The upper guide, looks like the number 7, won't change the noise much. I took mine out about a year ago.

The upper tensioner is the main culprit. You can get to it without pulling the engine, but it's still a bitch. Joehotrod explained it to me, but it still seams pretty difficult.

I got a spare engine yesterday, and I'm going to tear it apart and get an idea of the whole timing chain setup.
Post pics! :D Hey, thanks, you and Octane.

By the way, no email reply about the swaybar yet - I'm gonna call them from work tomorrow.

·
430 Posts
Yeah, to get to the upper chain tensioner without removing the engine, you still have to unbolt the intake and exhaust manifolds, remove the engine mount(s), unbolt and move out of the way the power steering fluid reservoir, as well as taking off the valve cover. There may be more, too...

DCB, you'll most definately have to get a new vlave cover gasket. It's a kit with cam seals or something.

Peterson, good to know you've done the removal of the guide...although, right now, I think that is my MAIN culprit. I've had several mechanics tell me to get my valves adjusted...and when I did, the noise was still there. It only comes fron that end of the valve cover. I put my trusty phatty screwdriver against the cover right over where the guide is and it "sang," (*Please remove me****I'm getting beat to death*):)

But if there is still some noise, I'll do the tensioner when I get a header...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts