The Nissan Club banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my way home last thursday I noticed the engine light came on and when i stopped for a light or when the car came to an idle it was making a loud noise, when i got it home and popped the hood i could hear it coming from under the valve cover, when i reved the car up it stopped...to me it sounds like the chain has slack in it causing it to hit possibly the top of the valve cover but when reving it up it gets tension and the problem goes away....What does everyone else think..I think its the timing chain...car goes in the shop as soon as this snow goes away for sure....

·
Banned
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah thats what I figured.....I hope it isnt to exspensive but I know it isnt cheap ill let you know how it turns out

**NOTE** z-3 fenders and omega full kit...pics soon

·
projected member
919 Posts
the guide for the top t-chain is supposed to be taken off as well as the side 1. more than likely your upper t-chain tensioner has a groove in it causing the noise. just replace it

·
Cube Farmer
2,202 Posts
Just leave it if you can deal with the noise. Im at 145K miles and the noise started at about 75K. Most people on the board just live with the noise, the light coming on is a completely diffrent issue.

·
Banned
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Im not understanding this, The light came on becuase there was a problem and to me thats the only problem I can detect right now, the car still runs fine as if nothin is wrong with it...Im not going to jus deal with the noise, its getting fixed...the fact in knowing that something wrong is bad enough.....Ill take it to the shop tell them to check the timimg chain and to see why the lights on..and FIX it..plain and simple..whatever needs to be done do it....New motor I dont care jus fix it....( not trying to be rude here ) but I dont really care what the problem is, jus want it fixed ....

·
Cube Farmer
2,202 Posts
The light wont come on if its just the noise. The ECU found another problem which there is a 98% chance it is not related to the timing chain noise. You can run a check using the light to tell you what the problem is yourself, its pretty ez, most of the time its just an emissions control problem and nothing major if the car is still running well.

·
what is in a name?
2,731 Posts
233kaltima said:
grinding noise = timing chain

price: 1200-1500 dollars

have fun
ah, no. you can buy the replacement kit for little over $200 and labor will depend on where you go. if you pay that much, you are getting butt raped!

·
what is in a name?
2,731 Posts
ShoNuff said:
So by looking on the ecu and looking at the light how can i tell whats wrong myself.....ECu should be under the seat correct....
search for ecu codes...actually i think there is an FAQ on how to get the codes. or go spend $50 on a diagnostic test at a shop.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
have the same problem, been like that for a long time. the nissan dealership told me not to fix it way too much, just drive it till it breaks and then get a new car. the labor on it is huge, cause you have to rip the engine apart. so turn up your music, just my opinion.

·
Cube Farmer
2,202 Posts
injectors dont trigger lights, but its pretty obvious when your running on 3 cylinders.

·
'96 Max SE loaded
1,307 Posts
clo007 said:
ah, no. you can buy the replacement kit for little over $200 and labor will depend on where you go. if you pay that much, you are getting butt raped!
only option for me was nissan, the only other places around here are stupid ass hicks that only know how to put duals on chevys

yes, i know, i saw the replacement kit in jcwhitney for 250, but ID have better luck installin it than the folks round here

·
I bent my wookie.
581 Posts
ShoNuff said:
So by looking on the ecu and looking at the light how can i tell whats wrong myself.....ECu should be under the seat correct....
It is actually immediately to the right of your gas pedal. Search on here for more info or get a Haynes manual, which has all kinds of good info on getting the codes.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts