The Nissan Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to tint my windows this weekend. I was wondering if it is easy to get the windows out and do you guys have any tips for doing it? Thanks

·
Resistance is futile
1,952 Posts
Sorry, man - I did mine with the windows in the door. I can't imagine taking them out is very fun, but it would be the only way to get the tint all the way to the edges of the glass.
When they're rolled up, you can't tell the difference. Only the top gap is visible when rolled partially down.

·
Banned
0 Posts
wfmrules said:
Did you do the backwindow too? I heard its really hard to do. Is it? Thanks.
Its not that hard.....just do the outline and cut out the piece on the outside of the car, then transfer to the inside...make sure to remove the back brake light too

·
ÊÎÇÀÊ
172 Posts
I say its not worth doing it yourself unless you have done a few cars b-4 I used to have a 89 taurus, and I did the windows myself. The sides came out OK, but the back had lines on it. The back window is curved, and you can't place a straight piece of film on it. I had to cut 8" strips, and putting them as close as possible with some overlap. Later I had horizontal lines across my back window. When I got my ALTY, I spent $180 to get the 3 rear windows tinted. GOOD LUCK

·
Resistance is futile
1,952 Posts
wfmrules said:
Did you do the backwindow too? I heard its really hard to do. Is it? Thanks.
I didn't even attempt the back window. Between the tight working space, compound curve, and window defroster, I figured it would look like shit, the way most back windows end up looking like.

·
Jr. Lord Of Search
1,662 Posts
I am going to get my windows tinted, but I'd rather just spend the money to get it done right than end up with a POS ghetto rig.

·
Genki desu ka
280 Posts
tbebko said:
I say its not worth doing it yourself unless you have done a few cars b-4 I used to have a 89 taurus, and I did the windows myself. The sides came out OK, but the back had lines on it. The back window is curved, and you can't place a straight piece of film on it. I had to cut 8" strips, and putting them as close as possible with some overlap. Later I had horizontal lines across my back window. When I got my ALTY, I spent $180 to get the 3 rear windows tinted. GOOD LUCK
$180!!! That's alot for three windows. I got my whole car done in reflective tint for $135

·
Registered
243 Posts
I think that you should just pay and get it done because I have tinted three cars myself now, and although each time is better they are certainly not as good as a paid for job. Just my opinion it will be better in the long run. Good luck though

·
Slow & Low
173 Posts
I'd recommend having someone do it, I think I paid $125 for my old car and I had it done seamless and had absolutely no overlaps or visible lines and It looked good. Plus if you get bubbles, or it peels you can bring it back and they'll fix it. Usually takes around an hour or 2 for the professionals to do it.
If you do it yourself, plan on a whole day. I do recommend you getting the tinting kits, I've seen these before on good ol' crank n chrome TV. The kits are already pre cut to your vehicles windows, and you don't have to screw around with making templates. Having done tints myself, I don't recommend it. Personally its a pain in the ass, and worth every penny to have somebody else deal with it, because you'll probably end up peeling the crappy job you did off and paying someone to do it anyways.

·
1993 GXE
27 Posts
take it to tha shop. especially if you never did it before. not easy at alll. got min 5% all tha way around(except windsheild) for $140, and they took my old tint off. well worth tha money.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts