The Nissan Club banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I replaced the brake pads and rotors on our 2013 Altima today. It was at 98k miles with 10-15% pad life left all around, so I replaced them with EBC pads and rotors. This was the first brake job done on this car.

The top caliper bolt on the rear brakes is a PIA to remove with a conventional socket/ratchet wrench, as there's an obstruction that will keep a socket from fitting in the space. I was able to buy a low profile "mechanic's socket set" that is made for tight spaces. You'll either need something like that, or an open ended wrench. An adjustable wrench wasn't going to work -- it took quite a bit of force to break that bolt free, and the adjustable wrench was flexing.

Nothing else was out of the ordinary. Just make sure you put some brake grease on the pins and slides/clips, or you WILL have noise or sticking calipers.

When you're done, make sure the wheel nuts are tightened to 83 ft/lbs. Tire places and dealers gun them on to 100+ ft/lbs, which contributes to rotor warping.

·
Registered
49 Posts
That's a lot of mileage to get out of a set of pads. You must do a lot of highway driving. I've got 30k on my 2014 and am planning on checking the pads just to see where they are before we take a long trip next week.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's a lot of mileage to get out of a set of pads. You must do a lot of highway driving. I've got 30k on my 2014 and am planning on checking the pads just to see where they are before we take a long trip next week.
It's a 2013 with 100k miles -- yes, lots of highway miles.

·
Registered
16 Posts
It's a 2013 with 100k miles -- yes, lots of highway miles.

Since you are a seasoned Altima owner I'm curious if you ever had any major problems in those 100k miles? Were you at all plagued with the CVT troubles? How long have you owned this Altima?

Sorry for the 21 questions but I'm looking to purchase a 13 Alti and am looking for some insight from owners. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Since you are a seasoned Altima owner I'm curious if you ever had any major problems in those 100k miles? Were you at all plagued with the CVT troubles? How long have you owned this Altima?

Sorry for the 21 questions but I'm looking to purchase a 13 Alti and am looking for some insight from owners. Thanks in advance.
No major problems. We bought it lightly used with 12k miles on a couple of years ago. We had a bulb go out that the dealer replaced under warranty. Other than that it's just "software issues" that show up occasionally that will be dealt with at some point -- a service engine code that requires a reflash, and more recently the brake light has come on twice (again, probably a software update).

No actual problems to speak of, no CVT issues, and low cost of ownership. We change the oil with full synthetic every 10k miles (every 2.5-3 months), change the cabin and engine air filters as required, changed the spark plugs at 95k miles, and just replaced the brakes a couple of weeks ago. Other than new tires at 60k, that's about it.

·
Hal in Va near D.C.
147 Posts
Early on , there was a software update for brake warning light.
I would get the problem after setting the foot brake.
I could clear it by restarting the car.
I have 49k mi and they are recommending brake pads at the dealership.
Thanks for the tips; I may save myself the $200-$400 that they would try to charge(pads only)

·
Registered
135 Posts
Just had my rear brakes replaced on my 2014 Altima. The dealer replaced them under warranty because they were squealing like a sumbitch at 33k miles. He said that normally they would not replace them under warranty, they would say that its a "wear and tear" item. But there was a recall or service bulletin about certain rear brake calipers causing excessive amounts of wear. And they said that my had had those particular rear brake calipers. Under the service bulletin, they are just supposed to replace the caliper and bracket, but because the pads were so work, he went ahead and replaced them too. There's honestly no way to tell for sure if the caliper caused the pads to wear out so quickly, so they just replaced them. They went ahead and replaced the rotors too since they were at it replacing everything else.
The service manager explained to me that certain calipers have some significant marking on them, and those are the calipers that are under the service bulletin. He actually showed me the pictures on the paperwork that he printed, and showed me my caliper to show how it matches the picture of the type of calipers that need to be replaced.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts