The Nissan Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
whats up with this new change my post are wrong the sig. is old i already have all the stuff that says coming soon i guess ill update it again

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
U are suppose to go by the cars stock tire pressure which is 29 pounds so go by that!
-Smacko

·
Tofu Shop Owner
3,704 Posts
It depends on how much your car weighs (if you have stereo equipment, or aftermarket rims, or the driver is abnormally heavy :D), how you drive, what the tread pattern is, what kind of shoulder your tires have, and a lot of other things... one thing is for sure though... NEVER use stock pressure, especially if you have low-profile tires... It will make your tires wear abnormally, as well as make your car handle funny.

Here's what you do to figure out what tire-pressure you should use:

Get some white-grease or something with color that will bond to the rubber on the tire, and put some on your sidewall, around the shoulders of the tires.

Drive around a little bit, do some turns, and put some freeway miles on too... basically simulate daily driving conditions.

Park the car, with the tires warm, and check the white grease on the tires. Make sure that the grease ends at the edge of the treads on the tire. If the grease ends somewhere on the sidewall before the treads start, you need more air... If the grease runs all the way into the treads, you have too much air.

If you do this to all your tires individually, you'll find that the Altima does not distribute it's weight evenly at all. All 4 tires have slightly different air pressures (at least mind does), with the driver-side front having the most weight on it.

When I Autocross, I'm usually running about ~45psi, with 225/45ZR17's... so with 215's, I'd probably recommend somewhere around 41 or 42.

·
Registered
28,959 Posts
PT said:
If you do this to all your tires individually, you'll find that the Altima does not distribute it's weight evenly at all. All 4 tires have slightly different air pressures (at least mind does), with the driver-side front having the most weight on it.

at a stop, the altima's weight distribution is 63/37

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
so what would u recommend 215-35-18's PT?
-Smacko

·
Tofu Shop Owner
3,704 Posts
Ry said:

at a stop, the altima's weight distribution is 63/37
Yeah, the Altima is pretty front-heavy (as are most front engine front drive cars... but what really surprised me was that lateral weight balance was not even... the Engineers at Nissan definitely know this because the centerline of the rear-suspension is off to one side.

For 215/35ZR18's? I have no idea, but I'd guess that it would be higher than 41-42. Usually lower-profile tires require higher pressures, otherwise you're riding on the sidewall, and that's not a good thing. You'll start to warp the radial belts and that's how you get tread separations. :D

·
Bboy Style
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay, 42 psi it is then (maybe 43 for my fat-ass :D )! Thanks guys!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts