The Nissan Club banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Like the title says my tires squeal while turning on my 2009 Altima 2.5 SL. I assume it needs an alignment since the roads in PA are terrible. Anything else I should check or just go and get the alignment first?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
731 Posts
Ether your alignment is way out of spec or your tire brand is susceptible to noise. I've owned two Altimas and never had any tire squeal at normal road speeds and I've gone over some nasty pot holes. My preferred brand is Michelin tires.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. I replaced the sway bar links and rear bushings last year (dealer wanted $2500 for that and oil cooler o-ring which I did for $300 in parts). We'll see what they say after the alignment I guess.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Don't be surprised if they find nothing. The tendency now is just to align and no work spent on looking for looseness as it means they can't get the alignment money and the easiest fruit to pick. Shops typically do not look real close for loose parts any more as their prices are too high and the search work for the bad part is then wasted when customer refuses the work.

Better to get the alignment, then customer comes back complaining to get the work then and pay a second time for alignment. Backwards America like so many other things now.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@amc49

You are 100% correct. This is exactly what they said. So they will give you a car back even though there can be an underlying issue and that seems to be ok. I get it but what the heck are people paying an alignment for when they just give it back to you with a potential issue? It is so sad how society has become.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
You buy a $200 subassembly to get the one $5 part on it you had to have due to unitized parts policies now. You can't even check the trans fluid level in a Nissan CVT any longer and any surprise they are often a quart low on fluid once you install a dipstick to begin checking yourself? Nitrogen in tires is another gimmick used to waylay the unwary too.

We can't even change but maybe 1/3 the trans fluid mow since the OEMs dropped the extra drain plug they used to put in the trans converter that allowed a full drain and fill. All because they wanted to drop having to drill and tap one hole for a $1 plug to give that money to the CEO while forcing everybody to drive around with only part of the fluid changed unless you spend megabucks to get it all changed by a flush.

It's all a ripoff now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts