The Nissan Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
ok, another newbie here. What is the difference between the 215's and the 225's? Will one size work better than the other? What are the advantages and disadvantages between the 215 and the 225? I noticed on the TireRack website, it only list's the 215 as an alternate size. Its seems to me that the 225 would be better because there is more rubber on the road, but I wonder how it would affect acceleration.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
215, 225, 235, 245 are the section width of the tire, that is, across the middle. The tread width is typically 90% of the section width but that is not a rule. Many tires have tread widths 80% of the section width More likely though in a given brand the wider the more tread on the ground. The best all around tire width is 235 as it poses no problem fitting with stock offset wheels.Keep the aspect ratio - that 45, 50, or 60 number which is the ratio of height to section width - to whatever it takes to keep the tire diameter close to the original. Typically 26.3". (wheel diameter + two times the section height (which is the aspect ratio divided by 100 times the section width).
And one inch = 25.4 mm so you can get all dimensions in inches along with the wheel.

·
Registered
39 Posts
ok, so what it boils down to is that the 215 is wider then the 205, and the 225 is wider than the 215. Is 225 to wide? Why doesn't Tirerack list it as an alternative? Are there any disadvantages with going wider?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts