The Nissan Club banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
161 Posts
I've heard & Read that alot of the so called professionals say it does'nt work, but some people that have used it say it helps w/gas mileage. You're gonna have to try for yourself. Goodluck.;)

·
Import Tech.
1,491 Posts
We actually had a truck come in the shop with one of those on it !! I just laughed !!!!! Oh yea it looked like I could build one for about $2.50 !!! What a piece of junk !!!

·
they call me the butcher
1,975 Posts
hahahhahahahahahhahahhahahhahahhahahhaa

·
walk without rythm
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
SHAWN said:
We actually had a truck come in the shop with one of those on it !! I just laughed !!!!! Oh yea it looked like I could build one for about $2.50 !!! What a piece of junk !!!
Yeah but does it work. The dyno did show improved gas milage.
I think if I ever got this thing, I'd be too embaresed to tell anybody.:eek:

·
founding father
1,709 Posts
no it doesn't. IF the tornado spins the incoming air charge, BUT once the air hits the throttle body the throttle body plate will split that spinning incoming air so it doesn't spin anymore. so no it doesn't work

·
mmmm...perforated leather
821 Posts
that video is bullshit!

they don't even mention about other things that contribute to gas mileage: vehicle weight, wind resistance (which a static vehicle on a dyno will not exhibit), tire presure, ambient air temperature, engine condition, not to mention that not all engines and intake systems are designed the same..and the other thing that especially drives me nuts: engine operating temp!! They don't even mention that the first test (apparently) was run on a "colder" engine and the second with a warmed up engine after which most of the OBD sensors would be at operational temperatures and contribute to mileage variations. way too many variations for my taste. Maybe if they took the tests to say Ford's R&D center in Michigan and ran some "real-life" simulations and came away with similar results, I would possibly agree.

and donnie's correct: especially in a naturally aspirated engine, the air is not moving w/ enough velocity to maintain it's vector position (i.e. the "twist" - direction and speed) through the intake and when it does reach the TB, it will have lost any appreciable benefit that would have allegedly existed.

Besides, this product "works" in contradiction to what engineers and designers and tuners have known forever: you do not want anything impeding the airflow you don't want anything introducing turbulence into the intake (i.e. what do you think the point of porting and polishing accomplishes? - minimizes turbulence - eddy currents - that get generated simply when air travels over a surface of varying irregularities.

·
walk without rythm
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
They don't even mention that the first test (apparently) was run on a "colder" engine and the second with a warmed up engine after which most of the OBD sensors would be at operational temperatures and contribute to mileage variations.
Good point, not to mention very informative.

·
Rally U13
896 Posts
i think grkprd5 deserves a cookie:) . very good explanation. thanx for giving me ammo to warn my dad away from that thing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.