The Nissan Club banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, I tried searching and found nothing.

Those of you who got the protorque converters. What did you have the stall speed set at cause I may be getting it soon. The guy at the tranny shop said he can get it maid at whatever stall speed I need. He quoted me $500.00 for the converter and install.
It's not from Protourque. He said he knows a shop where he can order them from and that they're good quality. I'm kinda wondering if it would be better to go with the Protorque converter though. But if I remember correctly the Protorque converter, alone cost $450.00, then shipping and installation. I would end up paying around $775.00. So there is a big difference in price there. So should I go with the expensive Protorque converter or the inexpensive No name brand?

I also brought up the valve body upgrade (also known as a shift kit). He said he would ask around and see if anybody made it for my car. After a couple of days. I went back to the shop and he said he can get the kit so he can do the upgrade on the existing valve body for $100.00. I know that guy in Texas that does the upgrade for the Maximas charges $450.00, and that doesn't include installation. So these prices he's giving me sound too low. Has anybody had the valve body upgrade done to their Altima? I emailed MobileTek racing (the guy in Texas) and asked if they can do upgrade on my car. But I haven gotten any response.

Any info apreciated.

Oh yeah, my car is a 2000 Altima gxe auto

·
Simple Pleasures C.C.
1,521 Posts
I would be leary of those prices...however the TC might not be bad at all, but I am not sure on the valve body upgrade. I have a protorque converter, it bumped the factory stall speed up about 1000RPM. I love it. I will be getting the valve body upgrade once the guy from MobieTek has some cores...

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
SolacE said:
I would be leary of those prices...however the TC might not be bad at all, but I am not sure on the valve body upgrade. I have a protorque converter, it bumped the factory stall speed up about 1000RPM. I love it. I will be getting the valve body upgrade once the guy from MobieTek has some cores...
1000 rpm, is that mainly for street use or is that more for racing? How does it feel when your just cruising? And I know those prices sound really low. Maybe he's just gonna fiddle with tranny a bit and then charge me. I gotta call him again and find out what companies he's gonna get these parts from.
What info do you have on Mobiletek, as far as prices and how long will it be?

Zkrazy, I'm not sure what ya meant there but when are we gonna see that stillen lip?

·
Simple Pleasures C.C.
1,521 Posts
Yeah the 1000 RPM is mostly for street use. The car drives like stock for the most part, but off the line it does a lot better and it can do much better while cruising if you get on the gas real hard. I love it...well worth every penny.

I emailed Don about the valve body upgrade 2 weeks ago. He said $450 for the unit and I would have to ship my old one to him. He said he was out of cores for the moment and I told him I cant afford the downtime and to email me when you gets some cores available.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
hey havik..you live in cali..come chill with topnotch and you can see it. it was supposed to be up this week but it didnt happen. ill take normal pics and scan them.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ZKrazy said:
hey havik..you live in cali..come chill with topnotch and you can see it. it was supposed to be up this week but it didnt happen. ill take normal pics and scan them.
Kinda busy but thanks. Cant wait to see the pics.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Talked to the guy again today. He said the shift kit he was talking about is not so much for performance. It will improve the shifting but nothing too noticable. So he said I should try and get one from that guy in Texas. I told him that they didn't have any cores available. He said he can probably get me a core but he doesn't know what it will cost. He'll find out tommorrow. I'm gonna go ahead an get the torque converter and transmission cooler installed next Monday. I guess I'll have to get the valve body upgrade from MobileTek, but I don't see how I can do it. I can't be with out a car.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
ok..i thought you guys were retared sayin you didnt understand me..but then i read it over and yea..what i meant was...$100 seems way too CHEAP to make your tranny bullet proof.

·
"Member"
120 Posts
i was reading a couple of post ago that said that torque converters do damage to the engine eventually, is that true? what's the pros and cons?

·
6,859 Posts
ZKrazy said:
ok..i thought you guys were retared sayin you didnt understand me..but then i read it over and yea..what i meant was...$100 seems way too CHEAP to make your tranny bullet proof.
I was confused about the bullet proof part. The vb upgrade makes your vb stronger? I thought it just let you shift quicker.

·
Banned
625 Posts
someone told me that I can pretty much simulate what a torque converter would do by just pressing down the brake and pressing the gas down partially, I"m assuming this would be bad unless I have a tranny fluid cooler. Anyone know if this about the same as a torque converter, because if it is I'd be saving myself a lot of money, and I'd only do it when racing anyways

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well I picked up my car yesterday from the tranny shop. I had the torque converter, tranny cooler and UR pulley installed. It cost me $626 bucks parts and installation. I already had the pulley and belts.
I gotta say it was definately worth the money. The car takes off so much faster than before and normal driving isn't affected. The pulley seems to help alot with freeway driving. I can hit higher speeds alot faster and easier. The a/c seems just as good as before too.
I still wanna get the valve body upgrade, so the guy at the shop is trying to find me valve body core. So that I can send it to MobileTek for the recalibration. Anybody willing to share the cost of the core? I don't know what it's gonna cost yet though.
If there is a few of us who want to do vb upgrade, I can pay for the core, then once I switch out mine I can sell it to next person for a little less. That way there isn't much downtime and the cost of the core can be split. The more of us the cheaper it will be.
Ok I'm done, later.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts