The Nissan Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure probably everyone has noticed this, but I sure do hate my Torque Steer problem. I've learned to anticipate it so it hasn't been any trouble...

Anyone know what causes it? Is it the Posi front? And does anyone know of a way to get rid of it?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Well if it's the Posi front causing the problem , then you got an option that no one else did. The rest of us have a standard transaxle w/o posi-traction. The torque steer comes from a powerful VQ engine coupled to a transaxle/front suspension system that’s not quite up to the job. With some tweaking it probably can be improved, but whether Nissan can eliminate it completely w/o a major redesign needs to be seen. Torque steer in FWD vehicles is not an unknown problem. The FWD Cord in the 30's was famous for it

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hmmmm... assumed it was a Posi based on my tire marks (---=====). Guess not.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I beleive it comes from unequal length drive shafts. Someone correct me if I am incorrect.

·
Registered
34 Posts
That's only part of the very complicated FWD equation. Even with equal length half shafts, you can stilll get torque steer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Torque Steer comes is when your steering goes nuts on you when you really step on it. It's worse in turns, but can be a problem on a straightaway.

It's a result of the open differential trading torque between wheels and just like uneven breaking, it causes the car to pull but unlike uneven breaking, it switches sides and is unpredictable.

I was reading in one of the other forums that there's a Quaif ATB differential package that will solve the problem. It works like a Detroit Locker in that when you're on the gas it dumps equal power to both wheels. This prevents a difference in torque in improves traction both off the line and in inclement weather.

However, it also makes turning a breeze by diverting power to the OUTSIDE wheel in a turn unlike a Detroit which is unbiased between turning and straight.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I miss my rear wheel drive car during torque steer moments.....mind you I love my front wheel drive car during driving-through-snow moment....which is alot of moments!

·
Registered
582 Posts
Torque steer means that you have an actual engine under the hood, no road is straight or level, and the power produced by the engine is very difficult to distribute to both wheels exactly. The driving wheels are also doing the steering, hard to do both perfectly. The steering in my alti is much looser than any RWD car I have driven, making the steering more sensitive.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts