The Nissan Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
was thinking to myself earlier today about how nice it would be to have a read out of what gear the car was actually in, rather than just what was selected. I've found that in some instances it's hard to figure out which gear you're cruising in, especially up long, somewhat steep grades. Does anyone have any idea of if this would even be possible? and if so, how would one go about making it happen?

·
Resident drunken chef!
2,524 Posts
Sounds like he is looking for a 5 spd. I've nerer seen one for a five spd, but it is posible. My Crysler has one for the auto, it is nice to have.

·
Registered
288 Posts
With a little creativity and basic electronics knowledge, I can't imagine it'd be too hard to do a custom one for a 5spd...

·
OG
4,071 Posts
i've seen it done on a eclipse with automatic transmission... but it didnt show u the digit
it had 5 lights ... 4 green and 1 red ... the red was for reverse and depending on how many green lights were lit indicated with gear u were in ... 3 lights ... 3rd gear

yeah i wanted to do that too

·
Resistance is futile
3,202 Posts
scootter said:
Sounds like he is looking for a 5 spd. I've nerer seen one for a five spd, but it is posible. My Crysler has one for the auto, it is nice to have.
5-speed?! How do you figure? On an auto, the gear the tranny is in does not have to be the gear that the selector is set to. On a 5-speed, it always is (unless of course, your linkage just broke, in which case you have bigger problems)

·
Registered
494 Posts
Well, you could set up a six switches that the shifter will press when you put it in the respective gear. It wouldn't be that hard. Just take off the shift boot, and look around down there. Mount two flat metal pieces across (on in front of the shifter and one behind) with three switches on each (5spd + reverse). You'd have to mess around with it to get it to fit right. Then, you'd wire the switches to some sort of custom panel w/ 6 leds....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts