The Nissan Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It happened coming from work today...I couldn't get to 3rd/4th gear....had to drive 17 miles to the crib in second on the highway!!!! How embarrassing is that, huh????? So what's next, i guess i'll get the rebuild done....someone was mentioning...valve body/torque converter upgrade?? Can anyone give me a crash course on vb/tc?? Is this necessary, how much extra should i expect if i go that route and is there anyone here who doesn't mind me IM/PM'ing you as i go thru this process(this is my first car, and first major repairs EVER!!!) I know its a lotta questions but i gotta her back on the road ASAP!!!!!!!!!!! Holla back at the kid!!!!!

·
slow poke
3,139 Posts
When you take your car to get the tranny rebuilt, look for B&M or something like that for the VB upgrade or you can get one from Jeff at Maximum Tunning. I plan on getting the VB from him either tomorrow or Monday. Its not really necissary but since you will be getting your tranny worked on anyway, you might as well make your slush box funner to drive. Plus, the VB prolongs the life of your tranny

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea, its auto....but 4 the valve body if i buy one from max-tune guy, should the repair shop i choose to rebuild the tranny put it in for the free??? Is the TC upgrade something I should do...i kinda wanna keep this repair under a grand though.....holla back i'm up for a lil' while longer...

·
slow poke
3,139 Posts
As far as I know, a full tranny rebuild costs around a grand or a little more. The VB is definitley worth it and Jeff was telling me today that the most benificial time to buy a TC is when your going to run a turbo. I told him that I was going to buy both and he kinda talked me outta it. Plus the price on the TC is anywhere from 350 to 450 and the VB is 250 to 375 so your almost at a grand right there with just the upgrades. Then you gotta look at how much the tranny shop will charge for a rebuild and labor.

I say go with the VB upgrade just because it has more advantages than the TC. The fact that it prolongs the life of a tranny is convincing enough for me.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not this kid....i can't drive manual...i'd just destroy another tranny in like 2wks or something..lol

·
slow poke
3,139 Posts
ckohl23 said:
how long does it take to do the vb upgrade? it hurts to be w/o my car for too long.
You should call Jeff up yourself. He's located in or near Long Island and seems like a pretty cool guy. I don't know anybody here in south florida that specializes in altys like him.

www.maximumtuning.net

·
Hostile CAD designer
146 Posts
bluace98 said:
Not this kid....i can't drive manual...i'd just destroy another tranny in like 2wks or something..lol
Can't drive a manual? Then you aren't driving at all...hehehehe. Perfect time to learn! As for under a grand, as it's already been said, the upgrades alone are going to run you either right at 1000, or over it (Purchase plus labor install). The rebuild will run you the same, and no, I doubt the shop will put them in for free, unless the mechanic is a really cool guy

1 - 11 of 11 Posts