The Nissan Club banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
SSi Crew Member
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Situation: tore a tooth off my differential in the tranny.
Attempt at fixing: bought a junkyard tranny from Massilon Auto Salvage in Massilon, Ohio. When I called I asked if they had any limited slip 5 speed transmission for a 1995 Altima. They said yes. I said great. How many miles? 85k ok, How much? 600. Do you have the axles for it? Yes. Are they ABS axles? No. Good I want them too. Warranty? 90 days. Had the transmission installed. Picked up the car today.

!!!PROBLEM!!!
Synchros are shot, I can't shift any normal speed from 3rd to 4th w/o a grind. Can't downshift from 5th to third even rev matched unless I double clutch w/o a grind. 4th to third grinds sometimes too. It's not my driving style I know how to drive a stick I've been driving it for 3 years now I race and I've never had these problems. Other problem. NEW NOISE!!! It's clutch chatter. I hear a sound like metal sliding over metal when the clutch pedal is out all the way (clutch engaged) even at idle. It is synchronized with RPM, and does go away when the clutch pedal is pushed to the floor (clutch diss-engaged). ANOTHER NOISE!!! Some kind of rattle is coming through my shifter itself. Also my clutch doesn't seem to engage where it used to nor does it seem to grab as hard as it used to. Fluid levels are fine. I had an ACT S/S clutch in it that was beautiful. I KNOW the difference and SOMETHING is ****ed up there.

Obviously this tranny is S H_I T! But the clutch chatter still shouldn't be there. I'm afraid the bastards at my dealership swapped (for whatever reason) the clutch from the junkyard tranny into my car. Yes that sounds proposterous. The clutch assembly is not persay attached to the transmission housing. It does not need to be touched in swapping trannys. I KNOW! SO WHY IS THERE A PROBLEM HERE?!

I do have the 90 day warranty for the transmission but go figure it's probably parts only no labor. Any ideas there? Thats bullshit if I have to pay labor to drop my tranny again because their tranny they sent me was shit.. OH NOT TO MENTION, IT'S NOT LIMITED SLIP. And the axles they sent me were the exact same so they didn't install them! I don't know how to handle this. Who to talk to about what. I don't know how to be the person who complains about a job not done. Let alone a job done WRONG! It sucks even worse that I work at the Nissan dealership that did this install for me; and worse yet that I am sposed to be at school and can't get a job out there to make the bills w/o a car. When I finally do get a car back there wont be any jobs left. Everything I've ever worked for, and I've worked extremely hard over 40 hours a week for the past 3 years in the summer, is for this car. Now it's not worth a dime to me. and I hate that. I'm pouring all this money into getting it running right and the car still wont be worth that much. But I surely cannot afford to get a new car (to me atleast). I have only 2 car payments left. And was planning for this since the day I bought the car. I don't know what to do... This is a plea for help.

·
Cube Farmer
2,202 Posts
My 94 had the same problems, was some sort of brass bushing or some such crap (cost me $120 total at the trans shop). Clutch chatter happens on stage 3 clutches, not on your basic act clutch. It sounds more to me like a bad install more than anything. Take it back to the nissan dealer you had the install done at and tell them to try again (for free) if they refuse tell them youre going to go to the BBB. If they try to fix it with no results, call the yard you got the trans at. I would take a look at the warranty they gave you (should have a copy of it) and see what it all covers. If the sold you a bad trans and won't own up... again... the BBB or something of that extent will normally get you places pretty quickly.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts