The Nissan Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I HAVE A 2.5S AUTOMATIC, OFTEN WHEN I HIT THE BRAKE I HEAR A CLICKING NOISE COMING FROM THE AREA OF THE SHIFTER. ANYBODY ELSE EXPERIENCE THIS?

·
1,357 Posts
What you are hearing is the safety lock on the shifter. You must depress the brake to put the car in gear. I notice when I am stopped at a light and press the brake you still hear it click. Now why it does that I have no idea.

·
Registered
173 Posts
thats odd I never noticed a clicking noise.... Im sure if you listened to music at a 22-25 volume level you wouldn't notice it either. :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
Make sure the keyless entry on your key chain is not tapping the dashboard. My wife heard a low "thudding" type noise when she would slow and we noticed the keys hitting the dash. Sounds silly, but it wasn't obvious at first.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
no it is not something banging like a key. it occurs when stopped- i can lift up on the brake and when i tap the break it occurs again. it is definitely coming from the shift area

·
Snow White 3.5 SE
95 Posts
i don't think it's your shift-lock unlocking, because i think it only does that when you're car's in park.

i have no clue as to where your noise is coming from. i hate those unnecessary noises as well... if i were you, i'd take the whole center console apart, drive like that and see where it's coming from.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Mine clicks whenever I press and release the break when at a stop. It also clicks when I am slowing to a stop. I can feel it because most times my hand is on the shift knob.

·
Registered
3 Posts
clicking noise...

The noise you hear is the shift interlock solenoid. Mine does the same thing. I asked Nissan about it and they are supposed to be coming out with a fix. There is actually nothing wrong with your car....but I know the noise is somewhat annoying.

You'll hear the clicking sound whenever you're at a stop, etiher in park or in gear...when engaging or releasing the brake.

Other than the annoyance, there is really nothing wrong with the car...

·
Snow White 3.5 SE
95 Posts
do you know what it's actually doing to the car?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts