The Nissan Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I stupidly bought a radiator without a transmission cooler for my automatic 94 altima.

i had to put in a seperate transmission cooler to make up for it, but am unsure about the safety or the practicallity of it..

do i have to buy another radiator, or will the seperate cooler do?

·
phi phi Kappa Alpha
3,033 Posts
a tranny cooler is a good idea, but it should be independant of the radiar, so what you have set up is what you want...you want to run a seperate cooler because it takes stress off the radiator, and the seperate cooler alows the transmission to run cooler...hopefully you had this professionally intsalled, unless you really know what you are doing

·
mmmm...perforated leather
1,532 Posts
Actually, depending on how "big" of a cooler you bought, it might not work (key word: might) correctly. They are typically designed to work in line (in series) with the radiator cooler, usually placed on the return line from the radiator to the tranny (that's how mine is set up).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
will the cooler be ok in the winter too? wouldn't it somehow need to be kept warm, and will here be interference with the radiator..

thanx

·
phi phi Kappa Alpha
3,033 Posts
yeah, I am assuming you bought the right size cooler...I was told by my transmission shop to have the cooler run seperately from the radiator, but my moms van has hers inline (I think he told me this because of the rebuild I have). your tranny is still going to get hot in the winter, it won't effect it.

·
1,532 Posts
Well, in the winter (depending on where you are - I'm Chicago), you'd let it warm up a tad bit longer. Idling in park doesn't warm the tranny that much, if any though, as there isn't a load on it. Therefore, in the winter, take it easy for the first few minutes if you have an auxiliary cooler.

I have a B&M Supercooler, and it apparently has a "check valve" of sorts that only allows a certain viscosity through (sort of like a thermostat). However, I still play it safe in the winter and warm it up slowly while driving slowly for the fist few minutes; I'm glad the interstate is like 2 miles from my house - by the time I get there, all is nice and toasty and ready for road rage time.........

·
1,532 Posts
oh, and there wouldn't be any interference with the radiator. There is more than enough surface area for the radiator and A/C condensor that a few square inches that the cooler takes up won't affect it. Besides, the cooler has air passing through it anyway, so it's not as if it's blocking air (if it is, it's a trivial amount to be sure).

As a note and depending on how you install yours: get extra hose (6' wasn't enough in the kit with the cooler) and also get some like 1" cooler hose. If you have the cooler hose running in a way that it might fray or even get hit by a rock or something, slit the cooler hose and wrap it around the tranny cooler hose for a "double protection" of rubber hose. Mine "hang" a bit below the radiator mount; I spent a good hour+ looking for alternative routes, but found that was the easiest and more direct route. Make sure you don't kink any hoses as well, as the hose has a min. radius that you need to maintain so that the inner diameter doesn't close up on the flow.

Oh, and wear a pair of Mechanix gloves or something like them; my knuckles got scraped running the zip ties through the condensor and between the radiator (hard to explain, you'll see what I mean........maybe).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts