The Nissan Club banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2009 Altima that is approaching 150,000 miles. I looked back in the records and the dealership changed the transmission fluid 5 years ago at 97,000 miles for the first time for $200. I am trying to determine if that should be changed again now but doing a search online I have found everything from reading that it should be changed every 30,000 and that only the dealer can do it to reading that it never needs to be changed. So here I am asking you guys. Should this been changed again now and can I have an independent shop do it or does it need to be done by the dealer? I only ask because I have read where you can only use the Nissan CVT fluid.

·
Registered
252 Posts
The CVT fluid should always be replaced every 60,000 mi or sooner. When the fluid stays in too long, the chemical properties of the fluid get compromised and it can no longer provide that cushion that's so needed between the steel belt and the cones.

You can replace the fluid yourself or have an independent shop do it. You can buy 5 qts of OEM Nissan NS-2 CVT fluid from Amazon for around $90. For a simple drain/fill, it takes about 4.25 quarts of the Nissan NS-2 fluid; use a new washer for the drain plug; pour in 4 qts. Now make sure to fully warm up the CVT by driving the car around slowly for about 30 minutes. Now let it idle and slowly pour a little of the fluid in, then check your dip stick and if not full, pour some more in. Just a little at a time until it's at the full mark. Now drive it some more for about 15 minutes or more, then check the fluid level while it's idling.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok thank you. I remember hearing a big thing about this when the car was new about bringing it to the dealer to make sure the right fluid is used but now that this transmission has been around for over 10 years, I would imagine the independent shops will use the proper Nissan fluid.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I will attest that my daughter's 06 altima did not have the transmission fluid changed in about 120k miles and it did substantial damage to the transmission to the point of replacement. Sounds like you are doing fine just beware of the whining in the cvt. If you do end up replacing the transmission at some point this is a good article to read first here: Transmissions 101 Altima Trans Talk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts