The Nissan Club banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a heads up to others. It is bad enough that reading the oil dipstick is somewhat of a pain. The other day I went to check the transmission fluid and at first I thought I was running into the same problem. Took out the dipstick and it was dry! First I thought it was me because I didn't have my reading glasses on but in reality, I was a quart low! This is really great. I had the car in because the transmission shifted poor and jerked. According to the service department they checked it out with the consult and checked the fluids. Why don't I fully believe that they checked the tranny fluid. Anyway, it took almost a quart and just like the motor oil, you don't get an accurate reading after you put in oil unless you let it sit and all the fluid drain down the tube to the pan.

You might want to check out your fluid levels in particular since it looks like some people are starting to have transmission problems.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I just checked the online manual - it reads for directions:

1. Park the vehicle on a level surface and
set the parking brake.
2. Start the engine and then move the shift
selector lever through each gear range.
Move the shift selector lever to P (Park)
after you have moved it through all
ranges.
3. Check the fluid level with the engine
idling.
4. Remove the dipstick and wipe it clean
with lint-free paper.
5. Reinsert the dipstick into the dipstick
tube as far as it will go.
6. Remove the dipstick and note the reading.
If the level is at the low side of either
range, add fluid through the dipstick tube.

If you checked it while it was shutoff you more than likely overfilled it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That is exactly the way I did it and it came up low so I added almost a quart and I am just at the bottom of the indicator. I guess they save a few bucks by shorting everyone a quart.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I guess I was confused by your statement:

"nyway, it took almost a quart and just like the motor oil, you don't get an accurate reading after you put in oil unless you let it sit and all the fluid drain down the tube to the pan."

I assumed that you were letting the tranny oil settle in the pan as well - the only way I can see that happening is if you shut it off.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just can't believe that Nissan would use such a lame way of checking two important fluids. I feel sorry for people who don't have a clue about cars and they are on a long trip. They stop for gas on the highway and tell the guy to check the oil. Of course as we all know, if you just shut down the oil level is going to be about 1/3 quart low on the dipstick (the service manual tells you to wait about 10 minutes before checking but I don't recall the owners manual stating the same thing, just don't fill with the dipstick out). So the gas station attendent wants to sell them a $5 quart of oil and throws the entire thing in. Now the motor has an extra quart....... So now, this poor fool is driving at 75mph down the highway and the have to much oil in the system.

Remember, the variable valves run off oil pressure. Again, how could Nissan be so stipid to have our cars this way.

·
Registered
224 Posts
pcsgrp said:
Remember, the variable valves run off oil pressure.
Yes, the cams are adjusted by oil pressure, but there position command is not based on oil pressure. Plus the oil pressure does not get higher by having more oil in the car, unless of course you top off the oil to the filler top.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.