The Nissan Club banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been debating on changing the fluid in my transmission because it's at 101k miles but my problem is that I don't know if it's ever been changed and I've seen people say that if you change it at 100k miles then it could lead to it slipping and cause issues. I got it from a used car lot so I doubt it's ever been changed. What's everyone's opinion on what I should do?

·
Registered
518 Posts
So I've been debating on changing the fluid in my transmission because it's at 101k miles but my problem is that I don't know if it's ever been changed and I've seen people say that if you change it at 100k miles then it could lead to it slipping and cause issues. I got it from a used car lot so I doubt it's ever been changed. What's everyone's opinion on what I should do?
Change the CVT fluid now. To enhance longevity, the CVT fluid should always be replaced every 30,000 mi. When the fluid stays in too long, the chemical properties of the fluid get compromised and it can no longer provide that cushion that's so needed between the steel belt and the cones. You can generally deduce that by looking at the fluid; if it's very dark brown and has a burnt odor, it's shot!

What year is your Altima? A 2007 - 2012 uses NS-2 fluid. A 2013 - present uses NS-3 fluid.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Change the CVT fluid now. To enhance longevity, the CVT fluid should always be replaced every 30,000 mi. When the fluid stays in too long, the chemical properties of the fluid get compromised and it can no longer provide that cushion that's so needed between the steel belt and the cones. You can generally deduce that by looking at the fluid; if it's very dark brown and has a burnt odor, it's shot!

What year is your Altima? A 2007 - 2012 uses NS-2 fluid. A 2013 - present uses NS-3 fluid.
I got a 2008 Altima Coupe 3.5 SE. I'll check the transmission fluid tomorrow. Should I take it somewhere and have them do it or?

·
Registered
518 Posts
I got a 2008 Altima Coupe 3.5 SE. I'll check the transmission fluid tomorrow. Should I take it somewhere and have them do it or?
If you're handy with fluid changes, then you should be able to do it yourself and save some money. For a simple drain/fill on a 2007 - 2012, it takes about 4.25 quarts of the NS-2 fluid; pour in 4 qts. Now make sure to Fully warm up the CVT by driving the car around slowly for about 30 minutes. Now let it idle and then check your dip stick and if not full, pour some more in. Just a little at a time until it's at the full mark. Now drive it some more for about 15 minutes or more, then recheck the fluid level while it's idling. Never over-fill the CVT.

The dip stick has security latch in the head of the stick. With a very small screw driver, push in on the side and hold while pulling up on the head. The head uses an O-ring that could be stubborn upon attempted removal. Here's a picture:

When performing a CVT drain/fill, always use Nissan OEM NS-2 fluid. Stay away from aftermarket CVT fluids which could possibly damage the transmission. A good price for the fluid:

·
Registered
22 Posts
If you're handy with fluid changes, then you should be able to do it yourself and save some money. For a simple drain/fill on a 2007 - 2012, it takes about 4.25 quarts of the NS-2 fluid; pour in 4 qts. Now make sure to Fully warm up the CVT by driving the car around slowly for about 30 minutes. Now let it idle and then check your dip stick and if not full, pour some more in. Just a little at a time until it's at the full mark. Now drive it some more for about 15 minutes or more, then recheck the fluid level while it's idling. Never over-fill the CVT.

The dip stick has security latch in the head of the stick. With a very small screw driver, push in on the side and hold while pulling up on the head. The head uses an O-ring that could be stubborn upon attempted removal. Here's a picture:
View attachment 102265
When performing a CVT drain/fill, always use Nissan OEM NS-2 fluid. Stay away from aftermarket CVT fluids which could possibly damage the transmission. A good price for the fluid:
I have a similar question, my 2013 Altima Coupe is at almost 125k miles and a cvt fluid replacement has never been done, I have done plenty of fluid replacements in automatic and standard transmissions but never a CVT. I know that with a regular automatic trans that if you delay a fluid change and eventually do one with high mileage that the clutch packs can start slipping since the clutch material is in the old fluid. Does this philosophy still apply to CVT transmissions of this year and model? I really want to keep this car for a long time. Let me know what you think. Thank you!

·
Registered
518 Posts
I have a similar question, my 2013 Altima Coupe is at almost 125k miles and a cvt fluid replacement has never been done, I have done plenty of fluid replacements in automatic and standard transmissions but never a CVT. I know that with a regular automatic trans that if you delay a fluid change and eventually do one with high mileage that the clutch packs can start slipping since the clutch material is in the old fluid. Does this philosophy still apply to CVT transmissions of this year and model? I really want to keep this car for a long time. Let me know what you think. Thank you!
The philosophy for the older A/T's does not apply to the CVTs. To enhance longevity, the CVT fluid should always be replaced every 30,000 mi. When the fluid stays in too long, the chemical properties of the fluid get compromised and it can no longer provide that cushion that's so needed between the steel belt and the cones. The fluid has two great enemies, and temperature is only one of them. The other is shearing force generated by normal operation of the belt, which increases on hills or with a load. This gradually breaks down and shortens the long-chain molecules that cushion the belt. You can generally deduce that by looking at the fluid; if it's very dark brown and has a burnt odor, it's shot!

·
Registered
518 Posts
Just curious what would happen if one used ns3 instead of ns2 in a 08 alti?
The
Just curious what would happen if one used ns3 instead of ns2 in a 08 alti?
If you used NS-3 fluid in an '08 altima CVT, it would damage the internal chain and subsequently the two cones that the chain rides on. The CVT was reengineered for the 2013 and up Altimas so the fluid requirement was NS-3. The fluids are formulated with specific additives to achieve the proper viscosity where NS-3 is a lower viscosity than NS-2.

·
Registered
518 Posts
How hard would it be to put a 13 cvt in a 08?
It would bolt up to the engine with no problem. However you'd have to research the axle shaft lengths which may be different and the transmission mount might be in a different location. What ever CVT you install, include the TCM that came with the CVT. The '13 CVT may have additional sensors that you may have to deal with; I'm not sure about that.

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
I would NOT use a '13 as if you look around a bit the '13 model seems to mess up far more and earlier than others do.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts