The Nissan Club banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had dismantled the transmission from the motor To replace the seal after three weeks it started leaking again from the same spot Help can anyone help me with this Please leave comments need help I don't know what to do now PLEASE ANYONE I replace both right and left CV axle seals it's leaking right where that little window is to see the torque converter

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I had dismantled the transmission from the motor To replace the seal after three weeks it started leaking again from the same spot Help can anyone help me with this Please leave comments need help I don't know what to do now PLEASE ANYONE I replace both right and left CV axle seals it's leaking right where that little window is to see the torque converter
Don't feel bad I've done mine TWICE now, and its leaking WORSE than what it was before.

For now, I'm just going to let the damned thing leak at least until the weather gets warmer.

Here is what I plan to do.

I ordered the factory Nissan seal, not Felpro that I have used twice.

The first time it was leaking just a drop or two. When I pulled the trans I decided to go ahead, and replace the new seal that I installed when I rebuilt the engine.

The old/new seal had folded over on the lip causing the leak. I packed the rear of the new seal with grease, and put a little oil on the seal lip, and put it on the crank. Like I said, its now leaking even more so I would hazard to guess the lip folded in on itself AGAIN!!!!!

This last time I will again pack the rear of the seal with grease [supposedly it helps keep the little steel spring in place], and then put some "PAM" non stick cooking oil on the fugging lip of the factory Nissan seal.

Its too much trouble to keep pulling the damned trans for do overs.

Good luck, and give the factory Nissan seal a try.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There's a sleeve bronze copper color That sits over that shaft that the torque converter slides onto that gets worn out depends on how many miles on your transmission That will make the seal fold or get pushed out that will make the torque converter rub on the seal trans go for 450 and more may just get a used one I work at an automotive shop my coworker there is certified transmissions and knows his work

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Wait, I thought you were talking about the rear main seal on the engine.

I rebuilt the transmission, and haven't had issues with the TC seal.

I did the same thing with the TC seal, and that is pack the rear of the seal with grease as it keeps the spring from popping off during installation.

Might want to give it a try. I've never had a TC seal leak yet as the shaft on the TC is long enough to move back/forth the align the seal lip where as the end the crankshaft don't have that much shaft sticking out to move the seal back/forth.

For the record the new engine, and trans don't have but about 20 miles yet.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts