The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off thanks for the add. Second I have a question about my 2012 Altima S it has 101k miles on it. I just bought it and it does not shift into drive or reverse. The shift lock is not stuck as the shifter can be moved through the positions but there is no movement when accelerating. It does shift out of park it will roll when on a hill. It sounds as though something is happening the tone changes as you move the shifter. It will not go into manual mode and it is throwing a P0500 Speed sensor A, and P0720 output speed sensor codes. It does have fluid in the cvt as well. Any idea what the problem is maybe a bad speed sensor possibly? Bought the car at an auction wasn’t stated clearly that it didn’t move so here I am. Any help would be appreciated thanks.

·
Registered
143 Posts
First off thanks for the add. Second I have a question about my 2012 Altima S it has 101k miles on it. I just bought it and it does not shift into drive or reverse. The shift lock is not stuck as the shifter can be moved through the positions but there is no movement when accelerating. It does shift out of park it will roll when on a hill. It sounds as though something is happening the tone changes as you move the shifter. It will not go into manual mode and it is throwing a P0500 Speed sensor A, and P0720 output speed sensor codes. It does have fluid in the cvt as well. Any idea what the problem is maybe a bad speed sensor possibly? Bought the car at an auction wasn’t stated clearly that it didn’t move so here I am. Any help would be appreciated thanks.
You had any solution with this?
Having the same problem.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
143 Posts
Duh.................YEAH.

The 2 sensors play against each other and the ECM/TCM know what each is supposed to be at when the other is in a certain place, them not matching screams internal trans slippage somewhere.
With this
Once you have P0500 trouble code = blown cvt?
Unless you want to delve deeper in your write up, sole P0500 cannot write off a cvt us blown besides FSM bet to differ; there are electrical circuit faults/problems to this code.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Broken cvt= blown????

Btw P0725 is gone, now having P0500

Any ideas

Read correctly
I said P0725 is gone
Left with P0500

Any ideas

Your reply ......blown cvt (duh...yeah)

Take your time and read before replying

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
It may be gone but means nothing, more important is that it ever showed up to begin with, that being likely no accident. Trans errors often come and go until they come and stay.

·
Registered
143 Posts
It may be gone but means nothing, more important is that it ever showed up to begin with, that being likely no accident. Trans errors often come and go until they come and stay.

If just the 500 then change front trans sensor and if done then wiring/connector/grounding issue. All you got or can do until trans makes its' move if so be it.
I think the problem is me.
As I had the P0500 code, i wrongly followed up with working on the input speed sensor which I trip the wiring which caused the P0725 code to appear; i revisit it and did the right thing with that wiring and it's went off.
You just enlightend me that with P0500 code i should rather work and follow up on output speed sensor rather not the input. I just googled it and it's true. Vss= vehicle output speed sensor.
I want you to help me this time around so I don't make any mistake now that am going to follow up again; can you help me with that location where I can find the output vehicle speed sensor in my Nissan Sentra 2008 base model?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Part of the problem is me as well, getting codes mixed up. I was thinking 500 code was for input and now wondering where I got that from. I apologize for that.

Looking.....

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
OK, tie yourself down.......................As usual when I get all full of sh-t I was wrong. Go here..........

Go to bottom of page and click to download a copy of the entire section and then page EC-905 and EC-906 for p0500 codes.

There is NO output speed sensor on trans on that car at ALL, they use the wheel sensors to do it, the ones used for ABS. Vehicle speed signal then goes to ABS module then to the instrument cluster and then to ECM.

Could be one of the wheel sensors faulty I'd guess up front first, so far haven't found which one of 4 is used, maybe all of them averaged out. Maybe the front two. After wheel sensor the ABS modle likely changes, they simply seem to throw parts at it in the service manual too. Instrument cluster after that. What a mess.

I took the liberty of correcting some of my posts, not because I'm proud but because I'm an idiot and it didn't serve the site well to have bad info posted. This thread will look wonky as a result.

·
Registered
143 Posts
OK, tie yourself down.......................As usual when I get all full of sh-t I was wrong. Go here..........

Go to bottom of page and click to download a copy of the entire section and then page EC-905 and EC-906 for p0500 codes.

There is NO output speed sensor on trans on that car at ALL, they use the wheel sensors to do it, the ones used for ABS. Vehicle speed signal then goes to ABS module then to the instrument cluster and then to ECM.

Could be one of the wheel sensors faulty I'd guess up front first, so far haven't found which one of 4 is used, maybe all of them averaged out. Maybe the front two. After wheel sensor the ABS modle likely changes, they simply seem to throw parts at it in the service manual too. Instrument cluster after that. What a mess.

I took the liberty of correcting some of my posts, not because I'm proud but because I'm an idiot and it didn't serve the site well to have bad info posted. This thread will look wonky as a result.
Don't beat yourself up; mistakes are with us. What makes you better is owning up of your mistakes and making corrections.
I checked the resource up and here is my take below.

1. My car (Nissan Sentra 2008 base model 2.0) don't have ABS module, the higher trims above mine has it. Read the manuals D1 and Cvt, this is how my trim get it vehicle signal.
Vehicle Sensor/Output Sensor > TCM > Combination Meter/Unified Cluster > ECM
The EC you linked me up is that of the trim with ABS module.

2. Have seen the location of the vehicle output sensor, it's on the lower right hand side infront of the vehicle with bonnet lifted. Close to where the stock transmission cooler is mounted.

3. With the CVT manual they gave wiring diagram for it. My next assignment is to check the wiring for voltage, continuity between the sensor and the tcm. Will do and reflect, can upload it for you too have a look if you need it.

4. With the CVT they assigned instrument to make it easier to spot the problem which is Consult 3 and GST which I don't have some at the moment; but they provided multimeter test and diagnosis as well; which I will be using for this task. Will be sharing some shots as I go on with this task.

5. In the FSM/cvt manual they also call the sensor secondary vehicle speed sensor. So below are the names for future reference

Vehicle Speed Sensor
Output speed sensor
Secondary speed sensor

@amc49 thanks sir
Even before I nail this problem down, you have being helpful.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Yes, if the sensor is on the trans all of those names cover the same part. It reads the output shaft of the trans or the differential outer body depending on how designed.

'Have seen the location of the vehicle output sensor, it's on the lower right hand side infront of the vehicle with bonnet lifted. Close to where the stock transmission cooler is mounted.'

Yes, should be close to driver end of the trans.

I assumed even the base might be ABS as some are. Beyond that I still freak that Nissan so changes up the system just because of the trim level of the car, most stick with things like trans sensors in the same place regardless of trim level. That may be one reason why they make no money, totally rebuilding how the car works in the same year model, in some ways it's worse than the differences say in a V-6 and a 4.

I understand pretty much all of them but have to discover how each is built of course to go further. I apologize again for any straying I caused you to do. As you said it even may have helped you.

If the speed sensor is a 2 wire one I check them with an old school analog voltmeter with a needle. If 3 wire they are Hall effect and harder to test as they have to be switched on to work. I often rebend the contacts in the connector to grab much tighter on the sensor when plugged back in, sometimes that is enough.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Yes, if the sensor is on the trans all of those names cover the same part. It reads the output shaft of the trans or the differential outer body depending on how designed.

'Have seen the location of the vehicle output sensor, it's on the lower right hand side infront of the vehicle with bonnet lifted. Close to where the stock transmission cooler is mounted.'

Yes, should be close to driver end of the trans.

I assumed even the base might be ABS as some are. Beyond that I still freak that Nissan so changes up the system just because of the trim level of the car, most stick with things like trans sensors in the same place regardless of trim level. That may be one reason why they make no money, totally rebuilding how the car works in the same year model, in some ways it's worse than the differences say in a V-6 and a 4.

I understand pretty much all of them but have to discover how each is built of course to go further. I apologize again for any straying I caused you to do. As you said it even may have helped you.

If the speed sensor is a 2 wire one I check them with an old school analog voltmeter with a needle. If 3 wire they are Hall effect and harder to test as they have to be switched on to work. I often rebend the contacts in the connector to grab much tighter on the sensor when plugged back in, sometimes that is enough.
Yes
Nissan has a big problem when it's comes to that. (Trim difference)
Have an update.
Mine is a hall effect sensor with 3pin.
I checked the power supply, ground and return signal of the vss harness and they are all in good shape. This sensor is working perfectly; I swapped about three other sensors in other to remedy the problem but still they wasnt any difference with the problem (P0500). So my sensor and harness is in good shape.
I did this to make sure if the sensor is working; I unhooked the vss harness and drive around a bit. Transmission started slipping, bad slipping 3k ~ 4k rpms for a small speed of the car.
Put the harness back and transmission slipping stopped.
This is my take
The sensor, harness are doing their job but for whatever reason the unified cluster is not interpreting the return signal from the tcm to the ecm thereby throwing P0500. Being doing some digging and got to know the cluster sometimes have grounds problem and removing, wiggling the wiring, cleaning with electronic cleaner and removing and retightening the ground point fix the problem. Understand there was a bulletin with this in the past and some number of people confirmed it got rid of their P0500
That my next task to look at

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Don't be so sure the wiring harness is OK, they are one of the most common issues and if a broken wire that touches most of the time but occasionally doesn't you can get codes but not the greater messed up behavior of the sensor not being there at all. Sensor itself probably not a problem if you have changed it. Say you just drove the car to send 10,000 impulses to further up the path. 7 of those erratically spaced don't show, car would still drive fine but the reading device will catch those 7 missing (or weak enough the chip interprets them as missing) impulses and if happening fairly regular post a code over it as it knows something is missing.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Your year model is right about the time the entire electronic world suffered substandard solder issues when crap solder flooded the world market at cheaper prices to wreck motherboards and the like with solder cracking issues as the world dumped lead in solder. The lead is what stopped the cracking. Meaning could easily be anything electronic in the pathway there. The guy who reflowed solder on the cluster was chasing that.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Removed instrument cluster today and got to know I need to dismantle/remove upper top panel/dashboard to get to cluster grounds to work on it. This task is definitely not a diyer, it's involve so much which am afraid to take this up, the tools even required to make this come down is a pain in the ass.
Besides I did a self diagnosis of the instrument cluster before removing and it's looks good; its respond to anything required of it in the self diagnosis mode.
Lost in what to do next
Check the attached pictures

·
Registered
143 Posts
Update
Swapped the cluster with three different ones. This didnt solve it, speedo still not working.
Electrician recommend i change the ecm/ecu what do you think guys?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Update 2
Issue fixed!!!
The problem was a wrong tcm module in my car, changed it to the right one and speedo is blazing.
Thanks guys for your aid, expecially @amc49

1 - 20 of 20 Posts