The Nissan Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been getting bad gas milage on my '96. I checked the ECM and it shows 34 on the MIL. Does this mean the sensor down near the cat converter is bad or just a high reading. Why isn't my 'check engine' light on while i am driving ? I did the o2 sensor check and the MIL blinks 5 times. Does this mean that both 02 sensors are OK or just the top one ?

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
what's MIL and where did u get the 5 flashes from?
you're not gonna like what the fsm tells u to do. Here's the quicky:
1) check to see if the ecu harness is messed up
2) check to see if the knock sensor is messed up
3) check ecu pin terminals

I wish I had a scanner, but it's really too difficult to tell u what to do. So here's what I'll do. I'll just post the flowchart, but even this's hard to follow in text format.

1) check input signal circuit
a) disconnect ecm harnes connector and engine harness No 2 connector (this's in the engine, below the horn)
b) check harness continuity between terminal G and terminal 27. (this's just changing the wires between sensor and ecu. if you're looking at the terminal of the sensor, label the pins starting from top right and go left to right, A > H. G is the 2nd to last pin. Pin 27 is around the center of the terminal)
2) Check Component (this's refering to the sensor. dunno how to do this.)
3) check ecm pin terminals for damage or the connection of ecm harness connector (check for voltage through each pin)

good luck. hope someone else can help u.
jay

·
"Realistic Dreams"
121 Posts
My 95 has had that knock sensor code showing for about a year now , and i was still getting 320 to a tank until the ecm started acting up now about 250 to the tank . everytime i fix something , something elde breaks so i gave up and it will just have to stay broken . seems to work .

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
MIL = Malfunction Indicator Lamp, aka Check Engine Light, or in the case of the Altima, the indicator that says "Service Engine Soon." It's supposed to light up after the same malfunction is detected for two trips in a row.

A few things could cause knocking. Check the ignition timing and make sure the fuel system/injectors are clean.

How do you do an oxygen sensor check besides measuring voltages, or is that what you did?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
O2 sensor check

Mode 2 on the ECM is set up to do an O2 monitor function. The engine should be warm and in park when you do this.
1. ignition ON
2. turn screw fully clockwise
3. wait 2 seconds
4. turn screw back counter clockwise
5. start engine and run @ 2000 rpm for a couple minutes
6. the MIL should blink 5 times every 10 seconds if O2 is OK

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Re: O2 sensor check

David Boldi said:
Mode 2 on the ECM is set up to do an O2 monitor function. The engine should be warm and in park when you do this.
1. ignition ON
3. wait 2 seconds
yup
Jay

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Re: O2 sensor check

David Boldi said:
1. ignition ON
3. wait 2 seconds
Can you do it on 1st & and both flavors of 2nd gen?

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Re: Re: O2 sensor check

kenshi said:
Can you do it on 1st & and both flavors of 2nd gen?
I think it's universal for most nissans. I say it cuz both my bro's Maximas and a friend's sentras all have the same codes and proceedure.
Jay

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Location of knock sensor ??

On a '96, can someone tell me where the knock sensor is located.
At first, I thought the EGR temperature sensor between intake #3 and #4 was it. I it above the intake manifold ?

·
Resistance is futile
1,713 Posts
Re: Location of knock sensor ??

David Boldi said:
On a '96, can someone tell me where the knock sensor is located.
At first, I thought the EGR temperature sensor between intake #3 and #4 was it. I it above the intake manifold ?
Under the intake manifold, in back, above and to the left of the oil filter. Convenient, eh?!

·
Registered
322 Posts
I have a freind at work with a 97 Altima with a bad knock sensor, what needs to be done to replace this part she was quoted about 1400.00 by her mechanic. I did a search and someone did post on how to do this but I could not seem to find it.
From what I hear its under the intake manifold near the oil fliter, someone told her that they had to take the transmission out to get at this to replace. I was checking this out for her so I could help her, get a good price and not get ripped off.
Any help would be appreciated.
Glenn

1 - 14 of 14 Posts