The Nissan Club banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had this recurring problem with our 1997 Altima for 2 years now. It only happens when the weather is cold (fall or winter). In the spring or summer, the problem disappears. I have taken the car into Nissan 4 different times and they have not been able to fix it.

If it is cold outside, I have trouble getting the car out of park. The button that you push to shift the automatic transmission will not depress. I have to mess with it for several minutes before it finally depresses and I can get it into gear. Shifting from any other gear is fine. If I drive the car around and let it warm up, put it in park, and shift back out of park it is fine. It is only when it is cold outside and the car is cold.

We have had the space that houses the shifter cleaned out twice and they adjusted the brake pedal so that the shifter would react better to pressing the brake. However, nothing has worked. I am tired of taking the car in when they have no idea what is wrong.

Does anyone have any ideas. Thanks in advance. Your input is appreciated.

·
Slide up in the altima...
105 Posts
Pedal

NO CLUE. if they dont know whats wrong, then i really dont know anything else you could do, the only thing i could think it is, is that when you press the brake to shift the pin that locks the shifter isnt being moved, but i dont know how that would be effected b/c of the weather.....hope u get it solved

·
Registered
20 Posts
I HAD THE SAME THING HAPPEN TO ME, I HAD AN AUTO TOO. TRY PUSHING THE LEVER FORWARD AND THEN PUSH THE BUTTON, AFTER DAT U SHOULD B ABLE TO PULL IT BACK W NO PROB.

·
Jr. Lord Of Search
1,507 Posts
maybe the fluid is just crap in your transmission and when it gets cold it makes it worse? i dunno, thats an un-educated dumbass guess from me.

·
P-Fuzzy if ya nasty
742 Posts
ohhh i no this i no this the following is right out of my drivers ed book

"DO NOT SET YOUR PARKING BRAKE" after driving through icy or sluchy conditions, do not set your parking brake, as the pads may freeze to the disk or drum, use the PARK gear on your car or with a manual transmission, use reverse.

·
I OWN XTC,An XTC OWNZ U
909 Posts
Razer said:
I HAD THE SAME THING HAPPEN TO ME, I HAD AN AUTO TOO. TRY PUSHING THE LEVER FORWARD AND THEN PUSH THE BUTTON, AFTER DAT U SHOULD B ABLE TO PULL IT BACK W NO PROB.
^^^^^^
HE is right i've done that it solves the problem.

Shri

1 - 9 of 9 Posts