The Nissan Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'98 Altima GXE. Have extreme difficulty putting fuel in over the past 1-2000 miles. Gas pump keeps "clicking" off every 5 seconds. Takes forever to fill up. Many different gas stations. Current mileage is ~ 53,000. "Check Engine Soon" light also came on about this time. Car has not been in any accidents so I assume filler pipe to tank is OK. The only thing I can think of is a possible restriction in the filler pipe. But how?? Any help would be appreciated.
John

·
Traded in Alti!!!
406 Posts
this happened once to me, but that was that, never again so i have no clue??? Nissan will look at it for a low 65$ fee! lol

·
13,021 Posts
do you often fill past the first click? If you do you might have broken something. Chris should be able to help you answer this one. He had this problem a while back. it has to do with a sensor that monitors the gas in the tank i think.

·
Cube Farmer
2,202 Posts
Occasionally if it does it you can pull the gas nozzle out of the filler hole thing like an 1" instead of sticking it all the way in, and try again, that always solved it for me when i had that problem

·
Formerly LordofSearchMod
18,041 Posts
New Sentras when they first came out had this problem... there's a flap that is supposed to open up when you fill up.. well this flap was defective and shut, thus shutting the fuel up.. I know folks that it would keep shutting off and it took ALONG time to fill up...

Go to the dealer.. there's a Technical Service Bulletin on it... or go to b15Sentra.net, they will tell you more info on the TSB.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks - Found TSB NTB98013

Looks like I'm gonna have to replace fuel filler neck assembly according to ALLDATA.

·
Formerly LordofSearchMod
18,041 Posts
mrdeucie said:
I remember when Chris was telling us about this problem. He said that he coulnd't fill more than a couple gallons and it would start spilling out. I think it was pretty costly to fix.
yeah, I believe it was the same thing... they had to take out the gas tank that's why it was expensive and his car was out of warranty.

·
projected member
919 Posts
you need a new filler neck. what are you removibg when you put gas in? air. the vent in the filler neck prolly has some casting flashing stuck in it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts