The Nissan Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 93 manual and when I take off.. the car seems as though its gonna die.. its makes this sputtering sound and I cant figure out what it is.. however, the check engine light is not on so that really doesnt make sense to me atleast.. I bought new spark plugs and I am going to put those in tomorrow.. any other suggestions, like where to start.. maybe its an exhaust leak?.. thanks for the help guys..

slope

·
Resident NICO Mod
5,972 Posts
possibilities

too rich/too lean a mixture
shit fuel quality
your ignition system isn't operating properly

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
how do I check for the too rich/too lean mixture..
I buy mobile gas so I dont think its that..
any other suggestions.. dist. cap plug wires, rotor?

by the way.. thanks for the reply rev

slope

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no.. the tailpipe isnt covered in heavy black soot.. its an aftermarket muffler that I have had for 2 years now.. so its got soot on it.. but nothing excessive..

slope

·
Resident NICO Mod
5,972 Posts
Ok, I would wet down the distributor and plug wires with a hose. If the car really starts skipping then you know its an ignition problem. Replace the related parts(ie tune up) and that should solve your problem. If there is no change in engine performance when wet then I would turn my attention to the fuel and fuel supply system. The fuel filter is a popular filter to forget to change and it will cause shit performance over time.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
what does wetting everything down do?.. doesnt sound like a good idea.. I mean.. you are prolly right, I was just wondering the reason behind it thats all.. also.. is the fuel filter something I can replace on my own?.. thanks again for the help..

slope

·
Resident NICO Mod
5,972 Posts
slopestyle said:
what does wetting everything down do?.. doesnt sound like a good idea.. slope
It will expose any breaks in the system. If there are cracks in the plug wires or a crack distributor cap. Things u cant see with the naked eye at first will be better exposed when wet and the ignition signal will more than likely arc which a lot of times is visible and it will help narrow down the possibilities for your problem. If all is good and well the engine wont be phased by the water.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
alright.. i will give it a shot.. thanks for all the advice.. if you have any other suggestions, just let me know.. thanks again..

slope

·
Resident NICO Mod
5,972 Posts
Just ask if you run into problems, we got some old time members here that have seen and helped solve lots of altima issues. I myself am a Nissan tech at a Nissan Dealer, an unpaid live-in .net techie.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
alright man.. this will give me somewhere to start.. if I have any more trouble I will be sure to come to you..

slope

1 - 11 of 11 Posts