The Nissan Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my question guys, i'm sure many of us want to know the real deal with this motor. First off, I own a 2004 Maxima and a newly purchased 2005 Altima 3.5 for the wife. Anyway, i've ran the hell out of both and I can't really see any difference in hp between the two. Yes I know the Max, according to Nissan has 15 more hp but does it really is my question. Then there's the G35 sedan with 260, coupe 280 and 350Z with 287. Now according to the displacement numbers/bore & stroke, they all have the same exact 3.5 liter motor. Anyway, my real question is how hard could it be to make the Altima for example, which is supposedly got the same VQ35 motor, make 280 hp like a G35 or hell better yet a 265 hp Maxima? I've looked underneath both cars, looked in both engine bays and I don't see any difference that would make a 15 hp increase in this Maxima. So if those others truly do have more hp with the same motor as me, how can I unleash the rest of my ponies? I feel short changed....

·
AKA Otto Von Titsling
791 Posts
This subject has been beat to death. The general consensus is that it all has to do with the computer tuning of the engine. From a mechanical stand point all VQ35s are exactly alike.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does the G35, 350Z and Maxima all have a bigger intake and exhaust manifold or just a better one? If so, where can I get a bigger/better one to put on the Altima? If Nissan also has all of the cars' air/fuel ratio different, where can I get that re-tuned also? Dammit I paid too much for this Altima to get short changed on my hp. I need the rest of my ponies.....

·
Registered
766 Posts
start comparing part numbers. ive been trying for a while but its hard to find a site with a break down of all the parts for both cars. the fuel pumps are different but i dont know the flow rates. still looking for injector and fuel rail #'s. rear wheel drive cars tend to lose more power than front because of rotational mass from the diff and drive shaft. im going to put on a nismo fuel pressure regulator after my warranty is up hopefully ill be surprised.

·
Chinese Foooooooooooddd!
705 Posts
they're in the process of making a new intake manifold for us. our OEM manifold is really restrictive i guess, so that has to do with some of it.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
tripod said:
start comparing part numbers. ive been trying for a while but its hard to find a site with a break down of all the parts for both cars. the fuel pumps are different but i dont know the flow rates. still looking for injector and fuel rail #'s. rear wheel drive cars tend to lose more power than front because of rotational mass from the diff and drive shaft. im going to put on a nismo fuel pressure regulator after my warranty is up hopefully ill be surprised.
I thought Nissan is OK with putting anything that is NISMO (Nissan Approved). So do you really have to wait until after your warranty is over?

·
Registered
5 Posts
HAHHA.... NO! THEY ARE THE SAME VQ SERIES ENGINES BUT THEY AREN'T THE SAME!

There are a few changes that have been done to the VQ engine in the 350Z compared to the Altima for example. Here are the main differences.

Mass-Flow Intake (Nissan designed it to be a lot larger, so a lot more air is compressed into each cylinder also makes a louder sportier sound.)

ECU- the mix of fuel and air is better balanced as horsepower goes.

Exhaust - of course bigger headers bigger everything let the engine breath easier.

MAIN THING IS THAT THEY BUMPED UP COMPRESSION RATIO TO 10:3:1 IN THE CYLINDERS OF THE 350Z . BUMPED UP COMPRESSION WITH MORE AIR BEING PUSHED INTO THE ENGINE MEANS MORE HORSEPOWER! SO IF YOU WANT YOU CAN EASILY MODIFY YOUR VQ35 ENGINE TO THE SPECS OF THE VQ35DE. You can easily do this with some engine mods.

·
How bout them Dawgs
2,207 Posts
hacku said:
I thought Nissan is OK with putting anything that is NISMO (Nissan Approved). So do you really have to wait until after your warranty is over?
There is different nismo stuff... (s-tune and r-tune). Stuff like intake, fuel pressure reg. is r-tune and is not covered by warranty. Suspension stuff is s-tune and is covered by warranty. I think that's how it goes...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts