The Nissan Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to upgrade the stock rollers on my '02 SE.
The owners manual says the OE wheels are 17 x 7' s (knew that)
with a +40mm offset. So when I talked to the the guy at Discount Tire Direct he says it's +45mm. Which is it? What are you guys
with plus sized wheels running?

Thanks in advance for the input...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Not sure if this will help but...

I purchased winter rims for my 2002 5sp SE, and used steel rims which were listed for a 2001 Maxima (ie. bolt pattern is the same). The company I purchased from had WRONG info about the 2002 Altima - I brought in my spare tire to make @#[email protected]# sure I got the right sized rims.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cutter said:
Not sure if this will help but...

I purchased winter rims for my 2002 5sp SE, and used steel rims which were listed for a 2001 Maxima (ie. bolt pattern is the same). The company I purchased from had WRONG info about the 2002 Altima - I brought in my spare tire to make @#[email protected]# sure I got the right sized rims.
Thanks, Cutter...it's a start!
The guy at Discount Tire Direct indicated that
the offset listed in the owners manual was a
"generic" offset and not indicative of the
TRUE offset,which he says is +45mm.

·
14 Posts
+45ET

The owners manual lists the 16x6.5, the 17x7 and the 16x4 all as being a 40ET. I can't believe all of these are +40, no way. I know when Discount Tire Direct had a set of 17x7 SE wheels up for auction they listed them as +45ET.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-c...&showTutorial=0&ed=1009752317&indexURL=0&rd=1

I currently have 17x7 +40ET Konig Verdicts on my 3.5SE with the factory tires and they look ok. They are slightly more outboard than the factory wheels, so I think the +45ET (OE) is accurate. I wanted to go with 8" wheels, so I ordered 19x8's with a +45ET. Altimat is running 19x8 +45ET Konig Tantrums with 245/35r19's and it looks great.

Rule of thumb:
7" width do +40ET
7.5-8" width do +45ET

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: +45ET

macfamm said:
The owners manual lists the 16x6.5, the 17x7 and the 16x4 all as being a 40ET. I can't believe all of these are +40, no way. I know when Discount Tire Direct had a set of 17x7 SE wheels up for auction they listed them as +45ET.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-c...&showTutorial=0&ed=1009752317&indexURL=0&rd=1

I currently have 17x7 +40ET Konig Verdicts on my 3.5SE with the factory tires and they look ok. They are slightly more outboard than the factory wheels, so I think the +45ET (OE) is accurate. I wanted to go with 8" wheels, so I ordered 19x8's with a +45ET. Altimat is running 19x8 +45ET Konig Tantrums with 245/35r19's and it looks great.

Rule of thumb:
7" width do +40ET
7.5-8" width do +45ET
...I suspected as much!
If I understand offset correctly,than
the greater the number,the further the center
of the wheel will be from the hub. Conversely,
the lower the number, the more inward the center will
sit (deep dish look). This would explain why the +40's
protrude just a litte further out if we assume the true
offset to be +45mm. Thanks for the help!:D

·
14 Posts
You've got it

Offset is the distance between the centerline of the wheel and the mounting surface. A positive offset wheel (gererally FWD) has it's mounting pad outboard of the centerline and a negative offset wheel has a mounting pad inboard of the centerline. Therefore, a +45ET wheel's mounting pad is 45mm (1.77") outboard of the center of the wheel.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Real Offset...

For those of you who would like to know,
the true offset for the SE's wheels is +45mm.
It says it on the back of the wheel. I noticed it
when I took them off for replacement to my new ADR's.

Also, as an aside, according to my scale the OE wheel
weighs 23 lbs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts