The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Long live the Altima
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've read something about that on this forum. To me, I doubt it's true, I've been adding that stuff with every Oil Change, and has never caused a problem to my knowledge.
Your opionions please!

·
Import Tech.
4,670 Posts
Nissan had a bulletin about not using fuel injection cleaners !!

·
Registered
9,499 Posts
I use to use the STP FI cleaner or the STP Octane Booster with FI cleaner in it. Didn't do anything really, but I have stopped using it since I heard it deteriorates the seals.

My opinion/theory is just to make sure when you drive, that you get the car up to temperature every so often. My drive to work is only about 20 minutes but I double my distance on my way home by tajing a longer route, which actually seems to be quicker. :dunno:
My car seems to run smoother after long drives on the highway! :rolleyes: Or maybe it's just that I like to go for a long drive when I'm bored.

·
Registered
674 Posts
The TSB is Nissans way off not having to recall any more fuel injectors. Also, it is an easy way to blame the consumer and avoid warranty work. Leaky injectors are a Nissan cost saving issue, definitely not a FI cleaner issue.

I always use a bottle of FI cleaner with every oil change and never had problems.

·
Registered
9,499 Posts
deadrx7conv said:
I always use a bottle of FI cleaner with every oil change and never had problems.
Not yet at least! Your 2k has gone through what, maybe a half dozen oil changes? 10 at the most?

I'm sure some of the first gens who used cleaners, in the past, are experiencing the seal degridation that is mentioned in the bulletin

·
Golden Member
1,834 Posts
best method? 5-6000 rpm dash every now and then.... clen injectors, clean cylinders... its all good ! :D

·
Import Tech.
4,670 Posts
Lets just say I have NEVER used any sort of injector cleaner in any of my cars , and have never had any sort of injector problems !!

·
VTEC wont save you....
6,411 Posts
I agree with Shawn.The day I walked out the dealer with my new 99 the tech said,dont EVER use FI cleaner.I never have 100K later and so far no problems.(Yet:))

I used it before in my old probe and it did nothing.

·
Erect Member
18,126 Posts
its probably like the gm cars bulletin. do not use injector cleaner containing MMT. MMT destroys o-rings.

·
R.I.P. 97 Altima :(
616 Posts
The seals are going to deteriorate no matter what over time. Depends on how hard you run the car and gas usage,weather the proper octane is being used, weather your maintaining it right. Really you dont have to use any aftermarket internal engine cleaner if you take good care of your car.

·
Got HAULIN' ASS?
234 Posts
This is what I've learned.
When you use injector cleaner (especially in older cars) the cleaner, when placed in your gas tank , it breaks all of your deposits up, because it is such a strong solvent, which in return causes them to plug your fuel filter and also your injectors, Which totally defeats the whole purpose of using fuel injector cleaner. I promise this to you, I am an Auto tech and have learned through experience. It's bad shit!

·
Banned
100 Posts
hell, i promise not to touch another bottle if thats the case...Is octane booster bad as well??? I don't seem to need it any way the alty's are fast enough without all this chemical shizzit.

·
Registered
28,959 Posts
SHAWN said:
Nissan had a bulletin about not using fuel injection cleaners !!
It's funny how Nissan Dealers have bottles of Nissan-labeled own fuel injector cleaner sitting in their parts departments, yet they don't recommend their use.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Yep, finally some common sense. Nissan sells FI cleaner and willingly uses it every chance they can charge you for it. They also do FI cleaning. Sounds like monopolizing the maintenance.

BTW: In driveway one time or another:
1987 Stanza,1988 Maxima,1988 Stanza,1990 Sentra,1992 Stanza,1994 Sentra,1995 Altima,2000 Altima,2000 Xterra
As you can see, I am well experienced with dealer idiosyncrasies and BS.

Thats about a million miles with only 4 leaky injectors. Two on the '92. Was used/abused when I got it. I used $5 junkyard ancient injectors as the replacements and no more leaks. Still on the road.

The '88 Max had all 6 injectors(2 leaked) replaced under recall. Nissan got milked for skimping on injector quality back then and caused underhood fires.
Main cause of leaky injectors is usually excessive underhood heat which deteriorates the seals. This is an issue with various cars.

Another thing to consider is that time destroys the seals also. Most injectors are iffy after 10+ years of use. This is no different than leaks caused by bad seals at the rocker cover, oil pan, front or rear main, cam seal, water pump..............It aint gonna last forever.

Like I said before, issuing a TSB is Nissans way of eliminating their blame for poor quality components. Easier to blame consumer.

Everyone with leaky injectors needs to file a complaint here:
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/

One reason why I don't listen to Nissan is because the sound is garbled and their breath stinks. Nissan needs to pull their head out of their a$$.

Most injector cleaners are used improperly. Yep, I've seen clogged filters and dirty tanks caused by owner negligence trying to solve problems with a bottle.
But, if used regularly, if filter is changed regularly, if gas tank is filled up regularly and car isn't sitting for months on end, then there usually isn't a problem.

If you can't remember when the fuel filter was changed, change it. I change mine yearly.
FI cleaners/brands should never be mixed.
FI cleaners should be used at the gas station prior to FULL fillup.
Don't use if fuel filter is old.
Don't use if car has 1/4 tank of gas.

Maybe Nissans TSB should say "Stupid people with poorly maintained cars shouldn't use FI cleaner".

1 - 20 of 30 Posts