The Nissan Club banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Future Z Driver
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the trunk on anyone else's new Altima really hard to close? On mine, you pretty much have to slam it every time to get it to close. If you push down on it like you would with the trunk on any other car, it just pops right back up.

Just wondering if this is normal or a (minor) problem with my car.

·
Barkless Dog
801 Posts
I've noticed the same, but not bad

·
Future Z Driver
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Naw, not a big deal, I was just wondering. I've got to take the car in either this weekend or next to get the mudguards installed (ordered with the car but haven't arrived yet), and I figured that if there was an actual problem with the trunk I should have it fixed then.

·
Registered
74 Posts
trunk hard to close

I have too noticed that my trunk is STIFF BUT it closes normal it is just a different feel from thas old altima i have a 98 gle now i have the 2002 se

·
Registered
6 Posts
noticed the gap on one side of the truck door bigger than the other

Yup...it takes a bit of a force to closed this trucnk door...I also noticed that the gap on the left (driver side) side of the trunk door is noticebly wider than the other...hmm does anyone have the same problem??

·
04-05 Pedal Insert
5,759 Posts
Afty said:
Is the trunk on anyone else's new Altima really hard to close? On mine, you pretty much have to slam it every time to get it to close. If you push down on it like you would with the trunk on any other car, it just pops right back up.

Just wondering if this is normal or a (minor) problem with my car.
I think it is the tight seal and the pressure created by the air. Mine is tough too, but when i had the temp tag in the rear window and shut the trunk, it would blow up in the air. You do have to give it a firm slam

·
Registered
49 Posts
Ditto 4 mine too!

I was concerened that before I had my spoiler, that I was going to dent my lid since I was having to push hard on it. Now that I have a spoiler, I am not as concerned. No biggie, but it is a little hard.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Same thing here, but its not a problem. The trunk lid does seem very light, just like the hood. Is the trunk lid made from aluminum, too? That would probably explain it.

·
Altima Freak
221 Posts
Yeah to me it's not a problem, just a different feel.

JJC said:
Same thing here, but its not a problem. The trunk lid does seem very light, just like the hood. Is the trunk lid made from aluminum, too? That would probably explain it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
but....

Isn't it bad that the trunk and hood are so light? I mean in an accident, they would get crushed - correct?

Was that just to keep the car lighter?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yeah I think something is wrong, cause my 2001 maxima closes nice and easy, but the altima, i mean damn, you gotta give it a little slam there.

Dixit

·
Altima Freak
221 Posts
Nothing's wrong, just different. Actually, my wife's 2000 Taurus requires more effort. Once you figure out the pressure required, you adust accordingly.

BigDogJonx said:
Yeah I think something is wrong, cause my 2001 maxima closes nice and easy, but the altima, i mean damn, you gotta give it a little slam there.

Dixit

·
X-Mod
1,585 Posts
Achieving the seal with the gasket requires a certain amount of pressure regardless of the car. Because the trunk is lighter, it has less kinetic energy avaiable to compress the seal and engage the latch. Therefore it requires more velocity to close. Also always close it from the center.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Yeah, mine is like that too. it's partially because the trunk lid is made from aluminum. The dealer showed me a neat feature of the trunk however. if you open it to just about any degree of openness, it stays at the spot you put it in. doesn't fly up or fall down. I kinda like that.

Don't worry about crash protection. lighter doesn't necessarily mean weaker. the trunk and the hood, like on most cars, have defined crumple areas. that means they'll absorb the energy of a crash, so you don't have to. That, combined with all the airbags in the thing, (like a big balloon), mean you'll likely walk away from a crash. I"m waiting for the Insurance Institute crash tests on this car ... should be interesting.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts