The Nissan Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
enlighten me
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep finding that the well in the trunk where the jack is kept keeps filling up with water in my '02. Everything around that area will be dry but water is still getting in there somehow when it rains. Anyone have a clue where it might be coming from? Eventually it fills this area up and spills over into the spare tire well.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I keep finding that the well in the trunk where the jack is kept keeps filling up with water in my '02. Everything around that area will be dry but water is still getting in there somehow when it rains. Anyone have a clue where it might be coming from? Eventually it fills this area up and spills over into the spare tire well.
it's probably leaking where the trunk sil and the tail light meet. Spray a hose on that area and see if you can see where the water is entering.

·
enlighten me
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought that, none of the lining inside the car gets wet so it's really hard to tell where it's coming in from. I'll keep looking for it but it helps to have ideas of where it may be coming from, so thanks for the suggestion.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Pop your trunk and check the rubber gasket that goes all the way around the opening of your trunk and actually forms the seal when the trunk lid closes on top of it. Look in the back upper corners, my gasket was kinked a little and it formed a crease where water would leak down into my trunk soaking my carpet leaving all the liners on the sides dry. Use some clear silicone and fill in the creases to make the gasket seal again.

·
enlighten me
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have checked that gasket, it is flush with the trunk lid. I had actually had some work done after I was rear ended a few years back and it wasn't completely sealing. I could tell because looking into the trunk from the back seat with the seatbacks down you could see daylight coming in there, but the auto shop corrected this problem and yet the leak is still happening. As stated before, the carpet and trim cloth around this area does not get wet, so the leak is coming in from under that material. It can't be coming from around the trunk lid because the carpet would be wet too.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Guess I shouldve read your post better. Pull out your tail light and all the trunk liner surrounding it and look for the source. If you see nothing then keep working your way down to the jack area and all around that area, look for abnormally dirty or rusty areas.

·
Registered
1 Posts
After pulling out the lining of my trunk, and placing small pieces of cloth/ paper towel in various places on the walls and floor of the trunk, I finally figured out the source of my leak. The bolts holding the tail light to the body had come loose thus allowing water that flows around the tail light assembly to get in through the mounting hole in the body. The rubber gasket around the tail light bolt also seemed worn. I made a new gasket from some thin rubber tape then re-installed the tail light and tightened the bolts really well. No leaks for one rainy week, and after some hose testing.

·
Registered
122 Posts
A little late but that was exactly my guess.
A leak that does not make the carpet wet is usually the taillights, it leeches in where the bolts go through and runs down the panel to the floor.
Glad you got it fixed

1 - 8 of 8 Posts