The Nissan Club banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering a 2016 Sentra S, but one thing I (and apparently a lot of others) don't like is that the trunk taillights are only reflectors and don't light up.

I found a solution here: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/1-Pa...49&btsid=458e6abf-2325-4320-a2bc-831737b9727b but I have several questions - combination of my inexperience and Engrish on the website.

First off:

• What exactly changed on the 2016 taillights? I know the outer taillights changed in that the clear portion doesn't wrap as far forward, but was the overall shape and the inner (trunk) portion of the taillights unchanged?
  • I thought the trunk taillight had the reverse light, but from the FSM, it looks like the inner light is only a reflector and all the OEM lights are on the outer light.

Now from the ad … I can probably figure out how to wire this up myself when I have the lenses in hand, but I would like to know how they work first:

• First picture says "Daytime Running Lights show" - I assume it means tail-lights show - there shouldn't be any connection between the DRL's and the taillights - correct?
  • Third picture says "Fog Lights Show" and shows a yellow light between the clear lens and the outer LED's. I would prefer the clear lens to light up with the reverse lights, but it doesn't seem to, but I can live with that. I assume it means turn signals by Fog Lights (unless it means European/Japanese reverse fog lights), but … I also assume I can de-pin that wire if it do NOT want those lights to come on. (Also - I can't really see how this would work - there isn't an easy way to get yellow light from behind a red lens - the best you could hope for would be orange if you used yellow LED's - I'm ASSuMEing that's what was done here, but …
  • I'm hoping these lights just T-harness between the tail-light socket and the tail-light harness connector, but it is hard to tell from the images.
  • The images have a watermark for Dolphins E Life, but my Google-Fu failed me on that ...

Thanks in advance for any assistance ...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Answering some of my own questions ...

I contacted the seller and got a (not unexpected) less than satisfactory response:

yes,sir,these fit the USA 2016 Sentra
and no more orange.
and the picture is the installation detail

Now - these would look great on the 2013-2015 Sentra and would be highly recommended. On the 2016:

The design of the outer tail-light is changed, not just the lens color.

These might FIT on the 2016, but IMHO, they won't look good on the 2016 - unless you swap out the outer taillights for the 2013-2015 ones, and I'm not sure that is possible.

I still don't see how you can get a yellow light output through a red plastic lens. (Actually, in the image I posted, those look yellow also, but I'm sure the 2016 OEM has red tail/brake lights).

The installation instructions say to plug the wiring into the fog light power plug, but I HIGHLY doubt I have to run a wire from the front bumper back to the trunk ...

·
Not an unregistered user
2,282 Posts
The 2016 tails have halogen bulbs for at least the brake lights, so it looks like Nissan has done away with the LED's. I have no idea if the 15's would fit the 16's, but I doubt it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Didn't realize they went back to halogens for 2016 - too bad ...

·
Not an unregistered user
2,282 Posts
Didn't realize they went back to halogens for 2016 - too bad ...
That's what it looks like, anyway. I'm a little unclear, though, as Nissan's website has "LED Taillights" as a standard feature for just the SR. I looked at a '16 SR and SV parked next to each other. I don't recall seeing different taillights on the SR, but I could be wrong. Hope I am, actually.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's what it looks like, anyway. I'm a little unclear, though, as Nissan's website has "LED Taillights" as a standard feature for just the SR. I looked at a '16 SR and SV parked next to each other. I don't recall seeing different taillights on the SR, but I could be wrong. Hope I am, actually.
From the image above, it looks like they have some sort of "light bar" on the 2016's, which I would assume was LED - but the lower lights might be halogen.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Why would nissan change the brake lights?

The semi-square config of the LEDs is unique and very effective already. I always look at the new sentras on the road while I'm driving, and when they pass by me, the brake lights are so clear and vibrant that I can recognize them from afar.

·
Not an unregistered user
2,282 Posts
Why would nissan change the brake lights?

The semi-square config of the LEDs is unique and very effective already. I always look at the new sentras on the road while I'm driving, and when they pass by me, the brake lights are so clear and vibrant that I can recognize them from afar.
You know, this is actually fairly common. It seems like a lot of facelifts/redesigns end up with LED brake lights getting dropped. A few examples: Honda did this with the Accord, VW did it with the Passat, Toyota did it with the Camry. BMW did this with the 3-series, also.

To answer your question, I think it's to keep the pricing competitive. Nissan added quite a few features to this car for 2016, but still need to keep it attractive when shopped against a Corolla, Civic, etc. That being said, I don't see LED tail/brake light assemblies breaking the bank, so to speak.

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,365 Posts
This sort of thing:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts