The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Altimas.net
4,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, looking for anyone with first hand experience. I want to turbo my Altima.....hehe, big step huh. Just a nice little turbo, FMIC and the rest of the gadgets. I know how a turbo works, and how everything else works like the wastegate and what not.

Anyone with experience, do you know any websites that give you complete list of things to do when turbo'ing a car. I knwo there is no available ECU, so I wouldnt be able to handle fuel curves like that and would need a bunch of stuff, but any info....let me know. I mean like more technical parts, like ignition and timing, basically I can get a turbo installed with proper piping for everything, but if anyone gets what I mean, please post.

Thanks for reading
-Nick

If you are gonna reply with something stupid, then **** off :rolleyes:

·
Am I still a NOOB?
2,082 Posts
I don't believe there's a turbo available yet for the QR. If you want to, as of right now, I think the only way to go turbo is custom. I do know that Area 51 has a supercharger for the Spec V. There might be some modifications involved but it's the same engine platform.

·
Altimas.net
4,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
AltyPrince said:
I don't believe there's a turbo available yet for the QR. If you want to, as of right now, I think the only way to go turbo is custom. I do know that Area 51 has a supercharger for the Spec V. There might be some modifications involved but it's the same engine platform.
Yeah, I want to do this custom. Design a kit for the Altima 2.5s. What I am wondering is stuff like the oil cooling for the turbo and all that...is there a site with information that will tell me all about that and what needs to be done.

·
Am I still a NOOB?
2,082 Posts
Well, how about this, try to make a list and post it on here and we'll see what we can help you out with, and the rest you can try to search. As far as finding out all the components of a turbo system:

www.howthingswork.com

I think they have an automotive section with forced induction.

·
Altimas.net
4,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
AltyPrince said:
Well, how about this, try to make a list and post it on here and we'll see what we can help you out with, and the rest you can try to search. As far as finding out all the components of a turbo system:

www.howthingswork.com

I think they have an automotive section with forced induction.
Yeah I read the how things work awhile back, its a well written article with good basic info. I know more then they have posted.

But you have a good idea, I will post what I know and see where you guys can help me.

·
Altimas.net
4,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
AltyPrince:

I was wondering how a returnless fuel system will work with a turbo. How does a returnless fuel system work by the way?

·
Am I still a NOOB?
2,082 Posts
Okay, my memory is kinda rusty so I may be off on the info, but I'm sure the general idea is correct.

Return Fuel system:
Basically in a fuel injection system, the fuel is carried through the fuel lines up to the fuel rail and injected into the ports of the manifold. Sometimes, not all the fuel in the fuel rail is used so there's a return line that goes back to the fuel tank. The downside to having that return line is that while the fuel is in the fuel rail for a long time, it'll get heated up. That heated fuel goes back to the tank and disperses its heat into the rest of the fuel. Thus heating up the fuel, and making the fuel burn at hotter temperatures. Not good for engine temperature.

Returnless fuel system:
In a returnless fuel system, there's an extra electronic module that monitors the fuel level in the lines and the fuel rail. Since that's monitored, the amount of fuel entering the lines can be regulated. I know you might be thinking of the fuel pressure regulator. That still exists, but there are some differences to which I'm not sure about. But since that's there, the fuel return line is eliminated and better for engine temps.

Now getting to your first question, I personally wouldn't prefer a returnless fuel system with forced induction. Reason being is because with a returnless fuel system, there might be a chance that the fuel system might not supply enough fuel. But I doubt that it would be that much of a difference. So it's not necessarily good or bad for either fuel system. That's just my opinion.

I hope this helps, any other questions? And feel free to IM me if you want:

AltyPrince

·
Am I still a NOOB?
2,082 Posts
which is why you might want an auxilary fuel pump incorporated into your system, or a more powerful one.

·
Altimas.net
4,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That means I couldnt really boost over 7lbs.

I actually wouldnt run any more boost then that on a stock block and head.

The auxilary pump you speak of, that would require an ECU, how would that ECU know when to give more power?

·
Am I still a NOOB?
2,082 Posts
It wouldn't. Unless you have a stand alone fuel management system. In the first generation altima's case, we use the 300zx fuel pump to supply more fuel. The modified JWT ECU already changes the fuel mad to add the needed fuel. You must upgrade the pump because the stock one can only push out so much. If you got an auxilary pump, there would be a tremendous more amount of work as opposed to just getting an upgraded fuel pump. An auxilary pump would be something that only fully race built cars would work with.

·
NISSANCLUB.COM
6,244 Posts
Auxillary pumps? What? Huh?

For under <10 psi of boost you are going to need an upgraded FUEL PUMP, a fuel pressure riser (well...) and appropriately sized injectors. I would recommend doing math (depending on the injector) to calculate the duty cycle, so you don't get an injector which is too big for your application. A big injector will cause driveability issues - especially since I am sensing that you will be using your OEM ecu with piggy backs to manage your set up (which is not that great of an idea).

·
Altimas.net
4,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes, I was going to ask how much more fuel I would need to feed with an Auxilary pump because a turbo doesnt use an equal amount of gas through out the power band. How would the pump know how much fuel to send?

I want to run stock boost, but if later on internals become available i would be running higher boost, like 12lbs, so I want to know what options are there fuel wise, would I have to wait for something aftermarket or could I possibly manufacture a larger fuel pump? Do I need better fuel managment, like a completly re-programmed ECU.

J

·
0 Posts
auxillary fuel pump = inline fuel pump.

bosch, airtex etc... they're popular in domestics and come with some basic turbo kits. generally only useful for HIGH HIGH fuel pressures from FMUs. Walbros are all you need if you get bigger injectors... with an FMU you gotta run an inline tho.

·
Altimas.net
4,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
JHU Sam said:
auxillary fuel pump = inline fuel pump.

bosch, airtex etc... they're popular in domestics and come with some basic turbo kits. generally only useful for HIGH HIGH fuel pressures from FMUs. Walbros are all you need if you get bigger injectors... with an FMU you gotta run an inline tho.
Are the bigger injectors universal, or do I need to wait for aftermarket ones?

J

·
0 Posts
im sure there is a set that fits somewhere out there... call up RC or something somebody knows im sure. Injectors dont vary that much.

·
Altimas.net
4,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok, I guess I am just expecting a lot of hassle since this hasnt really been done much.

Looks like I am in for a ass kicking, but hopefully my friends with experience will help out.

I plan on machining new fuel rails to create a return fuel system, how much of a hassle will this be with the ECU thinking its still a returnless fuel system?

·
Incognito
6,134 Posts
uhhh not to be an ass, but why dont you try out a sentra spec-v turbo kit... you share the same engine, and pretty much anything else you could possibly need. your best bet for injuectors is use OEM nissan injectors, you dont know the problems and headaches that a custom fabbed fuel rail is going to cause.

·
Am I still a NOOB?
2,082 Posts
Yea, I had no clue that it was available for the spec -v, thus the 2.5 altima as well. :smack: sorry guys. But I hope I provided good info.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts