The Nissan Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
"Member"
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my friend has like 7 turbos sitting in his garage and he said that one of them would fit in an altima. i dont know much about turbos so i need some help from ya that know. he said that i think hurst makes it. would it fit??? but he said that i would have to get a custom made header....anyone know? i'll post some more info tomorrow when i talk to him.

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
if you think about it..any turbo will "fit" inside the engine bay. but remember, the turbine itself is like only 1/3 of the complete kit. installing a turbo is not just a bolt on, after installing it, there are numerous hours of fine tuning. i have a turbine sitting at home too. it takes a lot more than that buddy. so if he's trying to sell it to you, dont buy it.

·
ASE certified wiseass
431 Posts
I feel like typing so I'll give ya an earful...

I agree with ZKrazy, except the turbo is like 1/10 of what you need. Here is the parts list for the custom turbo kit I developed for my "other car".

Custom manifold
Adapter plate
Custom downpipe with flange to cat
Custom wastegate tube
Custom charge pipe to intercooler
Modified intercooler
Custom charge pipe to tb
Cone air filter
MSD 6BTM
A/F meter (required)
boost gauge
oil pressure gauge
Custom oil feed line
Custom oil drain line
Custom water feed line
Custom water drain line
FMU
fuel pressure gauge
lots of vacuum tubing and tees
BOV
flexible bends for charge pipe
tons of clamps

Oh yeah, I almost forgot.

A turbo.

·
"Member"
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hey rgaz, just an estimate...how much would all that cost?? he told me that there would be a lot of customizing to be done. thanks

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
why get customized stuff when theres a kit available? the f-max costs around 4000. besides..to have a shop make an exhaust manifold will cost you a shitload. BUY THE FMAX.

·
ASE certified wiseass
431 Posts
Hold onto your hats kids...

The entire kit you see above you for my non-altima car cost exactly $1200.

That's right. I said one-thousand, two-hundred dollars.

I laugh outright when someone quotes me $4000.

OK, I admit it. It is totally custom, requires tweaking, and may not be super pretty like the $4K kit. But does it do the job? Can it be done by someone else? The answer is yes. Here's why.

I was sick of the outrageous costs of the kits so I decided to learn myself and do it for a low-buck system. I succeeded substantially. It took me over a year to do it since I had to try a few things and read a couple books but I got it to work as well as their system.

You want to know the key to keeping it cheap? Shopping around and buying what other people don't need.

For example: Many 2nd gen DSMer's upgrade to the 16G turbo very early in their car's life. So they have this t25 turbo just lying around their garage. I pick it up for $75 or so vs. $600 new. It only has 30K miles on it and works just fine.

The t25 won't work well for the altima, its too small, but for my other car it works great.

Another example: The JR supercharger kits come with non-adjustable FMU's. If the kit users turn up the boost, they usually replace the fmu's with adjustable units. They also sell off the non-adjustables for less than $50. I pick them up when I see them. After you tune the car into the boost you want, you never readjust the fuel pressure anyway, unless you constantly change things. Why spend more than what you need?

I'm not saying everyone should do this, then again not everyone pays sticker price for their car either. You decide what you want to pay for the speed and what you are willing to sacrifice. For you total cost of I/H/E, I can be pushing 7psi and 50% more torque from 3K rpm to redline.

Which would you choose?

Randy

BTW-Don't send me e-mail begging for the details. I am NOT developing a low-buck kit for the Altima. I don't have the time.

Also-Yes, I do all the welding myself, yes I do it all out of my backyard (not professionally), and yes I am happy with the results and would do it again in a second.

·
hard on equipment
2,104 Posts
Can I at least ask what kind of car you custom-built this turbo system for? Because I hafta give you mad props for that:eek:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts