The Nissan Club banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
M W S
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen a couple of references to the turning radius being not so good. Can anybody confirm or take exception to the statement.

Thanks.

BTW - I'll be picking up my 3.5 on Saturday. Finding a Pewter one fully loaded was almost impossible, and I still can't have it with the cold package

·
Registered
9 Posts
I also read the articles about the turning radius. I know Consumer Reports mades some negative comments about it, but I found some conflicting information on the radius from other magazines. In the past I have had a Honda CIVIC, Honda Accord, Mercury Tracer, Mercury Topaz and a JEEP Grand Cherokee, and I have noticed on my '02 Nissan Altima that the turning radius is more excessive than any other cars that I have owned, but it did not keep me from purchasing the vehicle. I have enjoyed driving the Altima more than any other car I have owned.

·
M W S
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My brother has a saturn wagon, and he can't make a complete u-turn in a "normal-size" residential street.

I hope that's not what I'm signing up for!

·
04-05 Pedal Insert
5,759 Posts
Radius

I did notice today, it is not good, but the rest of the car makes up for it. I will learn to adjust

G

·
I think altimat hit the nail on the head. We have a long wheelbase and add to that the front wheel drive and it most likely has a slightly larger turn radius then something say a Focus or a Civic. Who cares, we have huge back seats, zip and head turning looks.

The first motorcycle I rode on was a 53 Harley rigid. No rear suspension, non existant brakes, would never start and leaked oil. One thing, it looked great so the sour bottom from hitting bumps didn't matter at all.

·
X-Mod
1,585 Posts
How often do you hit the steering stops while maneuvering and parking? A tight turning radius compromises suspension design, especially with wider wheels. It's amazing how nobody is willing to sacrifice anything for all the good things this car has to offer. Everything is a compromise. You want sport sedan handling? It's gonna cost you some ride comfort. You want the best V-6, suspension, and body design out there? Then you probably aren't going to have the best interior on the market in this price range. This sounds like simple logic to me. Read the Quote from Ghosn in my sig.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Radius

From the Sales brochure:

Turning Diameter: 37.4 (2.5 models) and 38.7 (3.5 model)

For comparison, the '02 camry's brochure lists it's turning diameter as: 34.8 (for their LE (non-sport)) and 36.7 for all SE and XLE models. A Sportier (beefier) suspension obviously reduces the range the wheels can rotate through, increasing the turning diameter.

I'm taking this all to mean that we (altima owners) have a far superior suspension. I can live with that.

OpalBlue

·
1,357 Posts
If you got to make a U-turn, swing wide and you will make it. The turning radius is larger but so is the car. Remember the car went from compact to midsize. Trust me the car makes up it cause once you make the turn you can haul ass!:D

·
Banned
1,056 Posts
I have to agree with everyone when they say that you have to give up a few things to gain others. I didn't like the taillights at first but the motor (esp. the timing chain and the power) made up for them. As for the turning radius, you just have to adjust your driving habits.

The car is much bigger than it looks. Imagine my surprise the first time I pulled my Altima into the garage and it was the same length as my '64 Malibu! And although the Altima is not as fast as my Malibu it definitely handles better. :)

You should try parking my '64 Malibu with manual steering and a 4-speed. :p

·
1,357 Posts
I agree you don't realize how big your altima is until it's next other cars. The altima dwarf the WRX, stratus, civic and to me it seems much bigger that the accord or camry. The werid thing is I know the altima is bigger than the maxima but I see a maxima it feels like it's bigger than my altima. Go figure.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts