The Nissan Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
$ make my Engine go Round
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everybody ready cause here we go : )

1. Anyone know what a good change interval is for Mobil 1 Tri-synthetic oil 5w 30. It doesn't say on the box and I am hoping to get away with more that 3k for the 4 buck price tag.

2. When you put in a new air intake what filters out the small particles. (ie particles measured in microns.) The original factory air filters can stop a lot of little dirt but when you put that air intake on you have to remove the box that has the filter in it. It doesn't seem like the metal holes in the air intake can filter out even half of what the air filter does.

Thanks in advance : )

·
Registered
80 Posts
from what i can remember, synthetic oil can last up to 6,000mi, but me personally, i don't think i'd go that long. in a way, you answered u'r own ? about the intake. guess it just gets burned in the combustion chamber

·
Formerly LordofSearchMod
15,220 Posts
Well I know folks that use Amsoil and go 25K with no problems. Would I do that? no.

However, when I switch to M-1, I shall go to maybe 3750- 5 K the first time, then extend it to the max interval 7500.

Of course, you should do an oil analysis after a small interval and if it comes back ok, gradually extend it.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Did 5k on mobile 1 in my Volvo. Was dirty cuz it's the first time I used synth (121k on it now). I shoulda done it @ 3. But now, after a month, it's still damn clean. I'm going 7500 now cuz I think it cleaned out everything and car runs extremely well now...even got another mpg or 2.
As for the Altima, it's been 4k and oil's about 1/2 dirty, but still usable. I'm keeping it in there till 5. After that, I'm probably gonna leave it in for 7500...mobile 1's expensive and I believe that synth will last 7500.
Jay

·
Registered
22 Posts
Since you are using Mobil 1, you could go 10K+ miles on it if you like. The key with synthetic oil is good filtration not frequent oil changes. Synthetic oil does not break down easily. The reason that it does not last forever is the dirt and contaminants reduce its effectiveness.

As mentioned earlier on this thread, Amsoil is guaranteed for 25K or 1 year. After I finish with this round of Mobil 1, I am going with Amsoil. Mobil 1, however, is the best off the shelf motor oil on the market. Amsoil must be ordered from a dealer or the company.

For example, if you purchased the Mobil 1 filter @ 10 bucks, you could go 5K miles and change the filter and top off the oil. At 10K, you would change the oil and filter.

If you are using a regular Purolator or Fram filter, change the filter every 3-4K and top off the oil. At 10 or 11K change the Mobil 1.

Just because an oil looks dirty does not mean it is worn out. The only way to know for certain, is to send it to a lab for testing.

Hope this helps.

John

·
Import Tech.
1,903 Posts
Ok , to clear up all of this BS ...here goes , For the oil , oil NEVER wears out , it just gets dirty , so my question is will the synthetic oil get less dirty over the same time period .... NO ... so just because you run synthetic doesnt mean you can change the oil less frequent ... But heres the thing , the factory says to change the oil every 7500 miles , so you could do that , but if you want your engine to last 4000 miles are about as far as I would take it ... I change every 3000 with full synthetic !!! As far as the intake , the K&N Filters filter air way better than any stock style air filter ..... Why do you Think most race vehicles use them , as well as most dirt race trucks ,rally cars ETC. ........ Yes they flow better , but they have to make the engines last also ....

·
Registered
22 Posts
Shawn,

You are wasting your money changing synthetic oil every 3k if you have a normally aspirated engine. Mineral based oil is dirty to start with, sulfur, parrafin et al. Synthetic oil is developed in a chemistry lab, hence it starts clean. To make dino juice 30 wt oil to flow at 5w or 10w, destabilizers are added to make it flow better. Quality synthetic oil does not require destabilizers. After 3 months, conventional oil loses its ability to suspend contaminants unlike Mobil 1 or Amsoil.

If you change every 3K or 3 months just use conventional oil.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts