The Nissan Club banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
no ordinary sedan
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nissan said in order to fix my tranny leak they need to know what kind of transmission it has. They said the 95' Altys can have one of two different kinds of tranmissions.. hmm.. and they said they can't find it from the VIN # :rolleyes:

Anyway to find out w/o dropping the tranny? Anyone know? :(

·
4,020 Posts
I rest my case about Nissan not knowing how to tell whether your car has LSD or not...

·
no ordinary sedan
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah they said LSD or not LSD... and they said the only way to tell is to drop the whole tranny out... wtf

·
Stringz of Death
2,481 Posts
i thought someone said that if you have the car up and you spin the front wheels, if you turn one and they go the same direction, its LSD...if they go opposite ways its not. i did it on my car when i got the tires changed and it proved that i did not have LSD (one wheel rotated forward, the other backwards).

Monki

·
Official Troll
7,780 Posts
kettnerc said:
The tranny code should be listed in the drivers side door jam location. But they should have known that...
:rolleyes: stupid dealer service

·
Kitt Shicker
1,128 Posts
hey jessa, after reading this thread i remembered you were having problems with your tranny. i still haven't replaced mine but all that is wrong with it is it just leaks gear oil. i was thinking of using some kind of sealant. does anybody think this will stop the leak?

·
New Transaxle JBWelded!
1,025 Posts
mine does the same thing. leaks gear oil from the axle seals. there is play in the axles, also, leading my dealer (and myself) to believe that the leaking is a symptom of a worn out transaxle.

·
4,020 Posts
robmarch said:
or check for a tag on the transaxle itself.
RS5F50A = no LSD
RS5F50V = LSD
according to Dementia's link.
Per the local Nissan shop and Nissan Corporate you cannot tell if the car has LSD based on the transaxle codes found on the door jam or on the transaxle itself. I got so frustrated dealing with this whole mess when I had to replace my CV shafts, it wasn't even funny. And guess what from the best of my knowledge, I have LSD, but my tranny code ends in an "A". I will be checking it out soon.

·
was up
3,277 Posts
robmarch said:
mine does the same thing. leaks gear oil from the axle seals. there is play in the axles, also, leading my dealer (and myself) to believe that the leaking is a symptom of a worn out transaxle.

oh man:( youre going to have to spend some money

that was how it sarted for me and i had to get a used tranny. you drive a manual right?

the seals will never fix it since there is a little play. it leaked from the seals first...drivers side mostly, and then it started leaking from the speed sensor. it turned out my differential was bad...hope yours isnt the same thing

·
New Transaxle JBWelded!
1,025 Posts
Neegra said:
oh man:( youre going to have to spend some money

that was how it sarted for me and i had to get a used tranny. you drive a manual right?

the seals will never fix it since there is a little play. it leaked from the seals first...drivers side mostly, and then it started leaking from the speed sensor. it turned out my differential was bad...hope yours isnt the same thing
It's bad...the transaxle will be ordered in the next couple of days.

·
New Transaxle JBWelded!
1,025 Posts
JLewisinSyr said:
Per the local Nissan shop and Nissan Corporate you cannot tell if the car has LSD based on the transaxle codes found on the door jam or on the transaxle itself. I got so frustrated dealing with this whole mess when I had to replace my CV shafts, it wasn't even funny. And guess what from the best of my knowledge, I have LSD, but my tranny code ends in an "A". I will be checking it out soon.
I've heard that too, but the service manuals seem to support the V/A and Kettnerc, who bought ann "LSD" trans with an "A" code, is discovering that it probably isn't an LSD trans.

jack the front up and do the wheel spin test to find out if you have it or not. I don't currently, and my trans is an "A" per the door.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts