The Nissan Club banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2009 2.5 Altima S with 108k miles
I am facing a weird problem for some time now. When I accelerate the car and in between 35-40 MPH, there is slight vibration and metallic grinding noise from right front side.
I got the tires balanced and wheels aligned. I checked metallic brake cover plate and bent it such that it will should not touch brake rotor but I can still feel it.
It's almost like there is some resonance at 35-40 MPH. If I let go gas; vibes go away even ~ that speed. Afterwards, for speeds above 40, there is no problem. I rode it yesterday ~ 100 miles with 80 MPH.
What do you think is wrong ? Something with tranny ? Brake rotors ? Noise is irrespective of braking though. What do you think should I do ?

Thanks !

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,365 Posts
Bearing and/or CV shaft

·
04-05 Pedal Insert
5,767 Posts
That's the worst speed for the CVT drone and vibration....when the tranny is good>>>> Maybe it gets worse when this cream puff tranny starts to go bad.......

·
04-05 Pedal Insert
5,767 Posts
Every one I have driven does it.....Have not driven 2013 up...No need to.....Never again

·
6,365 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Did not check wheel bearings but there is absolutely no hum / any noise when turning or other speeds.
Also, what's weird is: the vibration is there only when I am pressing pedal and gone while coasting. Surely that's not because of wheel bearings... Or am I wrong ?
Also it's not really droning sound but literally vibration.

·
6,365 Posts
I agree it seems to be more of a resonance thing...so CVT or CV joint could cause this at one specific speed. You could put CVT into manual mode and downshift or upshift to significantly alter the RPM's of the engine and internal parts of the CVT. If the noise stays at the same speed, but at different engine/tranny RPM its more likely to be the CV shaft, if it goes away, more likely to be CVT.

Bearing unlikely culprint at this point with info given.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks d0ugmac1 ! I will try to replicate the vibes with manual mode and different speeds / RPMs. Probably worth getting CV shaft checked as well since there were some rubbing / grinding noises as well

·
Registered
1 Posts
2009 2.5 Altima S with 108k miles
I am facing a weird problem for some time now. When I accelerate the car and in between 35-40 MPH, there is slight vibration and metallic grinding noise from right front side.
I got the tires balanced and wheels aligned. I checked metallic brake cover plate and bent it such that it will should not touch brake rotor but I can still feel it.
It's almost like there is some resonance at 35-40 MPH. If I let go gas; vibes go away even ~ that speed. Afterwards, for speeds above 40, there is no problem. I rode it yesterday ~ 100 miles with 80 MPH.
What do you think is wrong ? Something with tranny ? Brake rotors ? Noise is irrespective of braking though. What do you think should I do ?

Thanks !
Did you ever find out what the problem was? I have a 2014 Rogue with the exact same issues.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts