The Nissan Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey i gotta ask you guys what determines whether ur car is rear wheel drive or front wheel drive, other than the transaxle. For instance can u put a FF tranny in a FR car? i know that there not set up the same because the FF type the engine hooks up to the transaxle and there the axle right there, but with the RR you need the driveshift to turn the rear axle. I guess what am asking is ( not that im gunna try just thought about it and couldnt make sense of it) what would you have to do to make a FF car FR. I know that its like trying to make an automatic a five speed , but whats different in the two. I was looking into getting a 240 and dropping in either the sr-20 or the rb-20. wanted to know what the drivetrain difference is between an FF car and a FR car. Thanks for any clarification that can be provided.

·
Registered Member
175 Posts
Its easy to see if your car is front or rear wheel drive. As far as swapping....... the sr20det will work but you need to put a Sentra Tranny in the car. And overall the swap will run oyu quite a bit of money. As far as the other stuff your trying to ask, id search and search again.

·
Import Tech.
4,670 Posts
frosty2883 said:
Its easy to see if your car is front or rear wheel drive. As far as swapping....... the sr20det will work but you need to put a Sentra Tranny in the car. And overall the swap will run oyu quite a bit of money. As far as the other stuff your trying to ask, id search and search again.

WRONG ...The Sentra trans isnt the one needed ... Bluebird FWD trans is needed for the FWD Altima SR swap ....

Basicly it is the transmission and Differential that makes the big difference , a RWD car will have a transmission and a driveline that goes to the rear that hooks to the Differential , a FWD will have whats called a Transaxle , basicly a Transmission and differential in one ... If you get a 240SX , you will want to get an S13, S14 or S15 Silvia SR20DET and trans. , basicly if you get a whole clip it will be an easy swap !! Drops right in !!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so basically it would be easier to do the front clip then the swap. one more question is that how tough would it be to do the front clip. would it bolt right up to the altima?

·
1st Gen SE Lover
2,520 Posts
I think he was talking about the front clip for the 240.

I don't think anyone has tried to do a front clip for the Altima because the SR20det is only available in the AWD, so the drivetrain is completely different anyways.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts