1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Die Trying
8,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you that are behind, here's the original link to my disaster:

http://www.altimas.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=86452

Update:
well, i just got off the phone with the shop that my car is at. They finally got a chance to check out the car today. They did a compression test and normal readings are about 160-170 for our motor, give or take. You ready for this? My #1 cylinder was at 80, and numbers 2, 3, and 4 were reading a big FAT ZERO!!!! So, needless to say, the pistons are toast and the motor is fully shot!!

The next thing they need to do is take off the head and start inspecting the inside. Depending on how catastrophic the internals look, i may be able to use the block and crank and do a build up. Otherwise, i'll have to get a new motor and start fresh. It all depends on what the insides look like. Who knows at this point?

and as far as a cause, it's still too early to tell exactly what it was. But more than likely it was a nitrous/fuel problem. The mechanic seems to think there was too much juice, i think there was fuel system failure, either way resulting in a lean-out detonation. MAJOR DETONATION!!!!

So, she's toast!! and that's about all i got as of now.
I suck at life

·
donor cycle
14,572 Posts
I wouldn't say the pistons are toast until you pull the head.

·
Die Trying
8,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
true, but i always like to expect the worst
it makes me feel better if that turns out to not be the case

·
donor cycle
14,572 Posts
lol, you are a man after my own heart. Expect the worst.

I'd still look into getting a good used motor and fixing whatever fuel problem you may have been having.

·
614 Posts
At this point u maybe want to consider redonin the the bottom end, wether or not the pistons check out ok, since the head is off. That way u'll be able to run a 100 shot or more, and u'll be in the 12's no problem

·
Like a Villain
3,765 Posts
damn that really sucks, but it was just a matter of time. at least you're ok. go call jwt and tell them what their product did to your car lol. congrats on the 13.1, and at least you have an excuse to do a rebuild. what about the cams? are they salvageable?

·
team FSP drifting
1,693 Posts
wow man...that is aweful news...:(...

i agree though...regardless of how ruined the pistons are...i would rebuild...that is if you ever think you are going to...might as well while the engine is out of the car...

good luck...we're all hopin for the best...

·
what is in a name?
2,731 Posts
sorry for the bad news but like everyone said, this is a good excuse to do a full build-up....time to start thinking about a hairdryer under the hood......

·
Dirt Looks good Sideways
443 Posts
I'll take the leather..i have dibs on it from 3 months ago ;)

·
2.0T, 2.3T, and 2.4 N/A
4,863 Posts
sorry to hear the bad news Ryan. Yet, It may be the time to do a engine build.

Good luck!

·
altima/dsm lover4life
1,511 Posts
RyanD said:
For those of you that are behind, here's the original link to my disaster:

http://www.altimas.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=86452

Update:
well, i just got off the phone with the shop that my car is at. They finally got a chance to check out the car today. They did a compression test and normal readings are about 160-170 for our motor, give or take. You ready for this? My #1 cylinder was at 80, and numbers 2, 3, and 4 were reading a big FAT ZERO!!!! So, needless to say, the pistons are toast and the motor is fully shot!!

The next thing they need to do is take off the head and start inspecting the inside. Depending on how catastrophic the internals look, i may be able to use the block and crank and do a build up. Otherwise, i'll have to get a new motor and start fresh. It all depends on what the insides look like. Who knows at this point?

and as far as a cause, it's still too early to tell exactly what it was. But more than likely it was a nitrous/fuel problem. The mechanic seems to think there was too much juice, i think there was fuel system failure, either way resulting in a lean-out detonation. MAJOR DETONATION!!!!

So, she's toast!! and that's about all i got as of now.
I suck at life
Ryan, you can still use the block as long as its pressured tested and also the head. Send it all to the machine shop and get the block bored and the crank if in good condition balanced and blue printed. The head might not be at a loss either you will have to get it shaved since you probably blew the head gasket. The one thing I learned about our Ka motors is that they can take a beating so just rebuild what you already got. And in the mean time decide if you want allmotor/n20 setup or turbo. Oh and redo your valve train I got the stiffer springs on order from JWT and you can get the SSvalves if you want and make sure the machine shop replaces your guides.

All this is fresh in my head since I overhauled my motor a couple weeks ago after bending some valves. The only reason I didn't go all forged is b/c I am investing in my eclipse. Hey goodluck and go for the gusto and holla at me if you need some advice

later

·
Die Trying
8,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
i know you guys want me to go all out and do a mean build up, but it's a question of money and time. This is my daily driver, no to mention i'm not exactly swimming in money right now. I know that if i EVER plan to do this, it might as well be now, but i have no money. Especially since i'm trying to pay the bitch off and then move out.

Trust me, i want this just as bad as you guys do, if not more, but it's a financial thing. I also lead a pretty bust life. I work 40-55 hours a week and then go to night classes 3 times a week. It's a little tough to get around without a car and all places i have to be at are a priority, i have to be there. So, that's another thing, i NEED my car back ASAP. Not only can i NOT afford it financially, but i can't afford to have all that downtime. I'd have to wait for parts, machine shop, mechanic, etc. I'm just not sure if i can do it.

But if i did, you can bet your sweet asses that i would go motor/n20, not turbo. No offense to the turbo guys out there, but i am NOT impressed the slightest bit with the turbo cars. For all the headaches and shit that can go wrong, the numbers and times just aren't persuading me. With the exception of Cthunder and Black Hornet, the turbo altima just doesn't perform. It's rare, and an awesome thing i'm sure, but i've yet to see a turbo application here put up the numbers i have without going all out like fred and carl have. So, if i do build 'er up, it's high compression forged, prolly JE's. we'll see though

still awaiting further updates from the shop.

·
My Alti got da last laugh
1,546 Posts
i have the same prob here to build my motor:( . i have the money to build the motor but not enough to get the tranny too. damn auto are expensive. and would have to get the stand alone. so i guess it's tranny first. we will be there soon or a later. maybe we can strike it rich. good luck to the both of us

trust me i suck at life right now too. your not alone.

·
donor cycle
14,572 Posts
ryan, i still think your best bet is to find a good used motor to plop in there, hook everything back up, and build your spare motor at your leisure. I was in the exact same boat as you when I popped my altima motor, I spent roughly 550 dollars and she was back on the road in less than 3 weeks. I damn near made my money back selling parts off the old motor. Distributor is an easily liquidated part from old engine. Injectors, cams, valve cover, all shit you wouldn't need when you finish your built engine. I bet anything if you try to fix your current engine it will cost you more in time, money and hassle than buying a used one.

·
Banned
2,829 Posts
sorry to hear about that Ryan ....good luck ~

edit : by the way which track did you go too ? orlando speed way ? moroso ?

·
Turbo Motorhead
3,466 Posts
Rise above what seems like disaster. Defeat is not in your vocabulary. Good luck with what you decide to do Ryan.

Fred

1 - 20 of 46 Posts