The Nissan Club banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was putting in a CAI this weekend and was noticing the serious restriction in the MAF unit. The inlet and outlet for the MAF are 3 inches each. In the middle of the MAF is the sensor. At the sensor is a much more restrictive and smaller diameter pass through. I would say it is no more that two inches in diameter. Basically, there is a HUGE restriction with that MAF because it has an inlet of 3 inches down to the 2 inch diameter at the sensor pass through back to a 3" outlet. How much performance is lost with the current MAF and is there an MAF swap that can be done to increase the airflow. It is as if the car is being made to breathe through a straw! I believe my buddy who has a 01 S/C Frontier has an MAF that is a solid 3 inches all the way through with no restrictions. Could this work with our cars with all things being equal such as wiring? Or is there another MAF that could work. It seems that this could increase the air intake by at least 35-40%.

Any ideas or thoughts?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
True, the ECU would have to be reprogrammed to accept the change, but has anyone done this? If so which vehicle has the MAF that would/could work? It seems like there is some good potential if the upgrade is possible.

·
Banned
2,850 Posts
there is an upgrade but its not worth the time ....when i talk to JWT they told me the stock MAF was good for around 250-300hp around there before its max out ....the usually upgrade would be the FORD COBRA MAF ..but thats only if your spraying more than 100shot of NOS or installing a turbo with more than 300hp ..and JWT would have to Remap the ECU to recalibrated the proper air ratio ...altho i understand where your comming from ...good luck finding a larger MAF for the nissans ..let us know if you do ....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.