The Nissan Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Official Troll
7,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After my experience biking Jim Thorpe...
http://www.altimas.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=168201
... I'm looking to upgrade the bike.

Here's what I'm looking at getting...
- Nashbar saddle
- Cane Creek Thudbuster long travel 3G suspension seatpost
- CatEye Enduro 8 cyclocomputer
- CatEye EL300 5 LED headlight or Planet Bike 1 watt LED superspot headlight

What do you think? I wanna be prepared when I go back. Should I also look into converting to disc brakes?

Opinions, preferences, recommendations welcomed.

·
Official Troll
7,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
22,052 Posts
Suspension seatposts are a bandaid. They soak up some of the shock, but they also drastically change your pedaling geometry. Most new saddles have some shock absorbtion built into them. Usually that should be enough. I bought one for my wife to give her more comfort, but then again, she's not really riding very often or long distances.

I'd stay with a rigid seatpost, find a seat that gives a bit and is comfortable for the long run, and always were biking shorts with a crotch pad.

Good V brakes are stronger than lots of discs. If you are riding through lots of mud and other shit that is hindering the brakes, or doing downhills, discs are worth it. But the money it takes to convert can be a little on the high side...so much so that it might be worth getting a new bike that comes with discs. Otherwise you'll need new hubs, possibly a new fork, if you have 1 piece brakes/shift pods, you'll need new separate shift pods, then all of the disc equipment.

·
Official Troll
7,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The problem wasn't the crotch with the Terry Liberator, it was my ass bones getting sore. With all the jarring, I was up on the pedals about 50% of the time.

I don't know if you are familiar with the Thudbuster, it's different from the traditional suspension seatpost. It doesn't go up and down. It swoops down and back. So many swear by it.

·
22,052 Posts
I've ridden one. Didn't like it....but I don't like any suspension post I've tried.

The Coda isn't bad, but it's certainly not worth the $$....

Do whatever you need to do to get comfortable. If you're not comfortable, you won't ride, and that's not good. So try out stuff if you can before you buy it. That's the only way to be sure.

·
Registered
33 Posts
suspension seat post is a total waste, and if your riding rough off road trails you should expect to be up off the saddle..

i totaly agree with Peterson, converting to disc's may not be necessary and is very costly if your frame or fork isnt set up for it plus youll need hubs no matter what the situation of the frame and fork.. if your really going to get serious then look into a new bike..

from reading your post about the trip id also suggest getting differnt tires, it would help in grass, sand and mug to have a beefier tire, but it will cause more resistance..

remember if it doesnt hurt your not trying hard enough, pain is weakness leaving the body...

·
Official Troll
7,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had the OE Velociraptors sitting in the trunk of my car. I should have swapped them back in before taking on that last ride.

My fork and frame have the mounting points for the disc brakes. And the rear wheel got 0wn3d. So I was thinking "why not convert to disc".

I'll let you guys know how it works out. Nashbar has a pretty good return policy, so buying, trying, returning wouldn't be too much of a problem (except I'll be paying for the shipping).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts