The Nissan Club banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a 2014 Altima SV. This is the first car I've owned that has a USB port.

Will the port simply charge the phone or can I run Pandora through it? Any other benefits? Options?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Your Owners Manual lists all the devices you can run through the USB port and how to do so...
However, it sounds like you bought the car used, so here is the link in case your manual is missing: https://owners.nissanusa.com/conten...ides/Altima/2014/2014-Altima-owner-manual.pdf

Myself...I just use it to run a USB Memory Stick on which I burned ALL of my CDs. Just plug in the stick and select the "Media" button on the stereo. Depending on the compression ratio you use to burn the CDs, the sound quality will be much better than Satellite radio, and likely better than most "Streamed" media.

·
2013 Altima 3.5 SV no nav
811 Posts
Just bought a 2014 Altima SV. This is the first car I've owned that has a USB port.

Will the port simply charge the phone or can I run Pandora through it? Any other benefits? Options?
Not sure what radio you have, I have a 2013 with the smaller color display (no nav) and the USB port will do files on a flash drive or iPod (or iPhone) control. Here are the three audio options I've tried, first two use the USB port. With all three methods the steering wheel controls work so that's a plus.

1. If you have a iPod or iPhone it's just duplicating the controls and display of the Apple device and it does all the work so it's faster to respond, and you can select by playlist, artist, song, etc. On my system I also get album art display if I have the Album art set in iTunes before I sync the device. The down side is you have to plug your phone in each time. The upside is it's better sound quality than Bluetooth, better control, and no limit on the number of songs. I have over 7000 songs on my Apple devices and it will random all of them and selection and playback are super fast.

2. If you have less than 2000 songs the flash drive works but you have less control over it. The radio also has to do all the work so it can be slower to respond. The USB flash drive might have to be fat32 format, don't remember exactly, the manual might give the specs on how to format the drive and arrange the songs. I got tired of this one fast.

3. Bluetooth audio also works. This surprised me, it works better than a lot of car units. On mine it will even reconnect and start playing the song right were it left off when I return to the car after getting out to pump gas or something. This should work on most modern phones, not just Apple. However, there are fewer control options from the stereo. Don't know about Pandora but if your phone has the ability to choose what goes over Bluetooth it might work.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts