The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Wasabi Warrior
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This past weekend, found out how incredibly dangerous/crappy the stock jack is!

Went over to my co-workers place to install my AEM CAI. Pulled my car into his garage, popped the hood, disconnected the negative terminal, then started to loosen the lug nuts. Got out the jack from the trunk and started to lift the front driver's side.

After I had removed the tire, me and my friend went to the front to look over the area of the install, when all of a sudden, BOOM! The jack slips, dropping my front end to the ground!

Now I know, I'm supposed to block-off the wheels and use a jack stand. However, I didn't even get a chance to do that! I'm just glad nobody was near the front wheel area when that happened!

I'm making a call to Nissan today to report what had happened. Hopefully, none of you will learn the hard way to use proper jacking procedure, like I did! Also, hoping nothing major got damaged from the drop!

I'm blaming what happened to be mostly my fault, but also the jack in my opinion is poorly designed, with the footing/base facing the wrong way. Just hope nothing like this happens to anyone who is stopped on the freeway, without a jack stand and blocks!

Be careful out there!

·
Wasabi Warrior
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know yet. It's in drivable condition. Fortunately, it didn't land on the rotors or I'd be royally f*$%#ed!

I'm still waiting for the call from Nissan and and I'm going to have them check it out for damages - on their dime, of course!

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Black Dragon said:
I don't know yet. It's in drivable condition. Fortunately, it didn't land on the rotors or I'd be royally f*$%#ed!

I'm still waiting for the call from Nissan and and I'm going to have them check it out for damages - on their dime, of course!
Dragon, that sux bro-
That's why I use floor jacks...

·
Wasabi Warrior
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
SE-Rious said:

In that case, of course I'd use the oe jack.
For mods, repairs, etc...at home I would
use a floor jack.
That's what I'm concerned about. If it can happen to me on a flat surface, with no one even touching the vehicle, then you had better be double careful when you are out of your garage.

·
I have a NISMO oil cap
5,563 Posts
There's actually no need to lift the car on a jack when installing the CAI. Just turn your wheel all the way to the right and you'll have room to work with. However, you'll need someone else tehre to help you if you dont' plan to remove the entire front bumper.

good lookin out though dragon!

·
TALL member
11,882 Posts
it's all about math....it costs approx 40 for a filter....he was sellin' it for 20 after only 2000 miles so every 2000 miles u deduct 20 dollars....so actually, u should pay me to take that filter off your hands, u see how it works?

hehe

·
Wasabi Warrior
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
TweekersAltima said:
it's all about math....it costs approx 40 for a filter....he was sellin' it for 20 after only 2000 miles so every 2000 miles u deduct 20 dollars....so actually, u should pay me to take that filter off your hands, u see how it works?

hehe
Ahhh, but you see, my filter is "experienced," thus more crap to provide better filtration. Also, it's been pampered, filtering only that lush, fresh, clean Hawaiian air, not that noxious, pollutant-filled atmosphere where you can just about see what you're breathing that you guys have on the mainland.

Therefore, since you know there is no oil problem and the filter actually gets better with usage, the price actually APPRECIATES over time. So at $20, you're getting the deal of the lifetime!! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
507 Posts
I haven't used the stock jack yet. I always use my floor jack with a jack stand, one to hold the car with the other about 1/2 inch below the car in case the other fails. Some use ramps, but I wouldn't. I know of a mechanic that was killed using a ramp...when they found him, he was under a car - crushed. Apparently the ramp either failed or the weight was shifted more to one side of the ramp than the other, cause they found the ramp across the garage up against the wall. Just something to think about.

Kevin

·
Registered
833 Posts
Black Dragon said:
Thanx, but what happens when you get a flat on the highway?
Usually when I jack up a car I make sure I pull that handle in the middle, I forget what it is called, but it goes click-click-click when you pull on it. It is designed to make the back wheels not spin when pulled, this may come in handy when you use the oe jack to lift the car.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts