The Nissan Club banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone,

A dealer is selling an almost fully loaded 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL with Navigation and all for about 14.2K? They have offered to reduce the price a bit by 700 dollars or so. The only exception is blindspot camera is not there nor warning thing. But everything else is fully loaded like leather heated seats and navigation.

Also the car's CVT transmission was replaced around 31.5K on the car. The dealer is offering a 100K or 2 year powertrain warranty for free with the car as it is the dealer's policy to provide it. The dealer is high end car dealership that somehow got this car and trying to get rid of it as it does not match their company's image. The car was a trade in for them.

Should we go for the car or these Nissan are a bit to weary about.

Also the car's engine seems to be a bit loud... Is that normal with Nissan Altima 2013 2.5SLs?

I am currently drive 1999 Nissan Maxima with 214K milies on it but its giving Engine light problems with its transmission which we have tried to get fix to no avail.

How is it going from my 99 Maxima to this car? They both have close amount of horse powers 190 in Maxima to 182 in the Altima SL.

Thank you in advance. :)

We are going tomorrow to see the car for the 2nd time.

·
Premium Member
5,855 Posts
Man, your gonna regret it id you proceed. I can almost assure you of that. While I am not a fan of the newer Altimas either, they are a bit better as some of the early issues have been worked out...somewhat. Your looking to buy a 1st year USDED Altima???? Hmmm A fool and his money will soon part. (just a saying, not directed at you personally)

·
Registered
136 Posts
Hey Everyone,

A dealer is selling an almost fully loaded 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL with Navigation and all for about 14.2K? They have offered to reduce the price a bit by 700 dollars or so. The only exception is blindspot camera is not there nor warning thing. But everything else is fully loaded like leather heated seats and navigation.

Also the car's CVT transmission was replaced around 31.5K on the car. The dealer is offering a 100K or 2 year powertrain warranty for free with the car as it is the dealer's policy to provide it. The dealer is high end car dealership that somehow got this car and trying to get rid of it as it does not match their company's image. The car was a trade in for them.

Also the car's engine seems to be a bit loud... Is that normal with Nissan Altima 2013 2.5SLs?

I am currently drive 1999 Nissan Maxima with 214K milies on it but its giving Engine light problems with its transmission which we have tried to get fix to no avail.

How is it going from my 99 Maxima to this car? They both have close amount of horse powers 190 in Maxima to 182 in the Altima SL.

What the mileage on it? please just walk away with 2013 model plagued with minor issues and some major ones.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The car has about 61K miles on it. Also it was personal leased car according to car fax with a clean record. That is why I started looking into it. It was traded in for a Cadillac.

Also I have never driven a CVT car before... Are the new Altimas really terrible as I have seen thousands of them on the streets? Also it will be commuter car for me to go and back to school. I drive about 250 miles a week.

This is the carfax for the car: CARFAX Vehicle History Report for this 2013 NISSAN ALTIMA 2.5/S/SV/SL: 1N4AL3AP1DC231685

·
Premium Member
5,855 Posts
Your not listening so I change my advice: Go get it and when it does have issues post a new thread here so I can say I told you so. Car Fax isnt everything.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
We haven't bought the car. Is the CVT in the car that bad? What should I look for in the car to avoid it? I actually like style of the 2013 Nissan Altima. It looks nice. I was looking for some advice on this. What should I look into it?

I have been doing my research for a few months, I mean it could be a good car?

I read this article and it was saying good things about the 2013 Altima SL: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL Long-Term Update 2 - Motor Trend

EDIT: The dealer has said that they have fixed the car's noise issue as something was stuck. Also they are giving a free 100K/2year warranty as they are high end Cadillac dealership.

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,365 Posts
The 2013 is the first production year of a new platform (Gen5), the previous generation ran 2007-2012, and the one before ran 2002-2006 (both had minor updates midway through, ie 2005 and 2010).

If you look at the number of complaints for 2002 (and 2013) model year you will see they far outstrip those for later years.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
So we should avoid the all 2013 / 2014 Altimas then? :(

What car would you guys recommend for 14K budget including taxes and fees. :|

EDIT: My situation is that I spent about 3K+ plus on trying to fix my '99 Maxima's engine light problem that deals with the transmission to no avail. On top of this my car only runs about 20 miles on a good week. So that is why I am looking at a newer model cars. *sigh*

·
Premium Member
5,855 Posts
Ive always favored the 1979 Ford Pinto Runabout. Except for the explosive gas tank thingy its a great car. We had one when I was about 8. :) Im sure you could get one for less than 14K all in! :)

·
Premium Member
5,855 Posts
Being serious now, lol, I would shop around and drive each model your looking at a good deal. See if you can test drive it without the sales person so that you dont have him/her talking in your ear distracting you. They like to talk about the size of the trunk and the fact that a car has a cigarette lighter and stuff like that. You need to be able to listen for noises and feel for vibrations etc. Especially with a used car.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Haha on the Pinto part.

Being serious now, lol, I would shop around and drive each model your looking at a good deal. See if you can test drive it without the sales person so that you dont have him/her talking in your ear distracting you. They like to talk about the size of the trunk and the fact that a car has a cigarette lighter and stuff like that. You need to be able to listen for noises and feel for vibrations etc. Especially with a used car.
That's exactly what we did with the 2013 Nissan Altima. The car ran fine and had a lot of power, but was a bit loud compared to what I am used to with my 99 Nissan Maxima. The electronics seemed to work perfectly as well.

I am really concerned about the CVT on the car.

We test drove two other 2013 Nissan Altimas SL they were a bit silent and did not seem to have as much power.

Also I looked into 2013 Hondas. They are really nice but they are bit out of my price range. I don't like older Nissan Altima due to their styling. Plus I would something that is good on the gas as I am a bit tired of getting 20 mpg on my 99 Maxima. Although I still wish the new car will have similar power due to the snow and hilly roads around here.

EDIT: I have never owned a CVT car though. That is why I posted the trendmotors link. I know there being a lot of problems in 2013 and that is a huge concern. That is why I am so weary about it. Have these issues been resolved after being out in the open for 2 years or so. I don't mean with the newer models but with going through the dealers.

·
2013 Altima 3.5 SV no nav
811 Posts
Hey Everyone,

I would pass on that one. The noise may be the known issue of the alternator on the 2.5. If you really want one find a 3.5, it will be worth it to pay a little more, coming from a Maxima you will like the 3.5 better. However, do get the extended powertrain warranty no matter where you get it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I would pass on that one. The noise may be the known issue of the alternator on the 2.5. If you really want one find a 3.5, it will be worth it to pay a little more, coming from a Maxima you will like the 3.5 better. However, do get the extended powertrain warranty no matter where you get it.

Thank you for the interesting information regarding the alternator. The dealer is offering 100K / 2 year power train warranty for free with the car as it is the dealer's policy to provide to all cars that they sell.

Here's the car if you are wondering: Oakhurst Pearl White 2013 Nissan Altima: Used Car for Sale - U6024A

Please let me know if its worth risk. Probably no, but if everything is good will it be worth risk? This is making uncomfortable with the car....

The dealer did say that they fixed noise though or as something was stuck or loose with the car.

·
6,365 Posts
I know there being a lot of problems in 2013 and that is a huge concern. That is why I am so weary about it.
Right now you are just wary....weary comes after you've owned the car for a while :devil

Nissan's have low resale for a reason. You get what you pay for. Caveat Emptor. A fool and his money... Anyone else want to chime in ageless words of wisdom here?

PS The original owner would've taken a bath on that car as far as trade-in value goes (2yr old, 60kMi)...why would they do that unless they were already 'weary' of it?

PPS I would hunt for a slightly older car coming off-lease...less likely to have been traded due to issues.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Surprise. You come to an Altima enthusiast board for advice and find the car is thoroughly trashed. Even the moderator appears to be a plant from Drive Accord.com. The car is more than fine. Seats are glorious. CVT is an amazing engineering solution for a power plant with limited power band (all gas engines). Tech is very nice. With the extended warranty you'll be fine. Good luck.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
^Is that sarcasm, I can't detect it.... I am really close to just calling the dealer and canceling our appointment for tomorrow. So the 2013 Nissan Altima is the worst car to buy? *sigh*

I mean I see them all over the place, is it like a vocal minority that just says the car is bad on the internet or is it really that bad? Even the website said the car is tolerable and is ok....

I am now really confused.

As a Nissan Owner from the '91 Sentra, 97 Altima, 99 Maxima... They have been great to us. I've grown up with them. So I like to buy them.

What Nissan Altima year would you recommend in the 5th generation or all of them bad? Hence the face lift?

·
6,365 Posts
^ PrDm's vote counts extra because he's still driving a '13, albeit with the 3.5 and that they have had it since new.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
^ PrDm's vote counts extra because he's still driving a '13, albeit with the 3.5 and that they have had it since new.
Thanks, any other 2013 Altima 2.5 SL would like to chime in on this. I would really appreciate it. My appointment is around noon tomorrow.

How does it handle in the snow?

·
2013 Altima 3.5 SV no nav
811 Posts
Thank you for the interesting information regarding the alternator. The dealer is offering 100K / 2 year power train warranty for free with the car as it is the dealer's policy to provide to all cars that they sell.

Here's the car if you are wondering: Oakhurst Pearl White 2013 Nissan Altima: Used Car for Sale - U6024A

Please let me know if its worth risk. Probably no, but if everything is good will it be worth risk? This is making uncomfortable with the car....

The dealer did say that they fixed noise though or as something was stuck or loose with the car.
Here is a link to into on the alternator TSB, make sure they had this done if you decide to go with it.

http://www.nissanclub.com/forums/20...cing-alternator-under-tsb-13040-ntb13040.html

1 - 20 of 67 Posts