The Nissan Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
IONO_g20_nao!
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it bad?

Wear down the brakes faster? Might accidently leave the brake on and drive with it on?

·
Registered
282 Posts
That's definately bad!

The e-brake does not use the same braking as the foot pedal. Plus if you yank the e-brake while driving you'll probably lock up the whels and loose control. Only use the parking when parking.

·
4,020 Posts
Using the e-brake to stop on a consistant basis is bad, it's designed for emergency use only. In addition to locking your wheels up and sliding out of control, you could over heat your drums or rotors causing your primary brakes to function poorly, you could snap your emergency brake cable making stopping difficult if you were relying it to stop you.
If you leave it on while driving expect to destroy your e-brake parts (drum/rotor and pads) in addition, **** up your mileage, get a horrible squeeking noise and burning smell.

·
Registered
148 Posts
oh no! don't ever do that unless your hydraulic break fails. The hand brake only activates the rear wheel brakes by a cable. It could lock your rear wheels and you will definetely spin out of control on snow, ice or wet road. Imagine spinning out of control in the middle of the road or hit a vehicle on the opposite direction...!!

·
Registered
701 Posts
Why else do you think it's called an "Emergency Brake"???

·
IONO_g20_nao!
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Heh, no worries, not doing anything stupid.

Just for some odd reason earlier while making a simple turn, I pulled the emergency break, held down the button, slowed down and made the turn, and put it back down [cause I was holding the button down the whole time] absent mindedly. No idea why I did that.

No worries, not gonna do something stupid and try and spin my car or do something dangerious, barely can afford the car as it is, muchless have to buy new tires.

·
Registered
488 Posts
IONO_1998_GXE said:
Heh, no worries, not doing anything stupid.
Really?
IONO_1998_GXE said:
Just for some odd reason earlier while making a simple turn, I pulled the emergency break, held down the button, slowed down and made the turn, and put it back down [cause I was holding the button down the whole time] absent mindedly. No idea why I did that.
No...not really.

Don't mind me...I'm just playin.

·
Rockin the Le Bra
1,016 Posts
sorry to jack the thread, but are you guys saying the rear brakes only work when u pull the lever? i thought they did a small part of braking when u pressed the pedal together with the front brakes. i've always wondered about this.

·
DRUNKEN WIKI TERRORIST
1,445 Posts
They Do I Believe But Yeah On To This Thread I Only Did That When I Had An Out Tail Light After I Lost My Licence Because The E-brake Doesnt Set Off Ur Lights If U Ease Into It And Down Shift With Ur Auto It Kills Ur Gas But Hey Kept Me Out Of Jail

·
Registered
237 Posts
Tex93Altima said:
sorry to jack the thread, but are you guys saying the rear brakes only work when u pull the lever? i thought they did a small part of braking when u pressed the pedal together with the front brakes. i've always wondered about this.
right, the rear brakes only work with the e-brake lever... but all 4 brakes work with the pedal. Its not that the rear brakes ONLY work with the lever, its just that there the only ONES that work when the lever is pulled.

The only time i use the e-brake is when stopped, or occasionally for doing e-brake slides (but never arround traffic of course). I have found that about 35mph will get you a nice 180 if you crank the wheel hard and then pull the e-brake, i use this occasionally if i want to make a u-turn on a deserted road somewhere

·
Rockin the Le Bra
1,016 Posts
WyrmMaster said:
right, the rear brakes only work with the e-brake lever... but all 4 brakes work with the pedal. Its not that the rear brakes ONLY work with the lever, its just that there the only ONES that work when the lever is pulled.

The only time i use the e-brake is when stopped, or occasionally for doing e-brake slides (but never arround traffic of course). I have found that about 35mph will get you a nice 180 if you crank the wheel hard and then pull the e-brake, i use this occasionally if i want to make a u-turn on a deserted road somewhere
gotcha

·
8,112 Posts
Tex93Altima said:
Its a 60% used up front and 40% in the rear.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts