The Nissan Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just agreed to buy a 2.5S for a very good price. Dealer wants me to buy a "Paint Sealant/Fabric Protection/Undercoating" dealer add-on. Cost is $299, but "we can do something on that price". Normally I wouldn't even think twice about such an offer, but the dealer insists that this is not a typical "dealer prep/undercoating" rip-off. The paint sealant is a Dupont "Resistall" Teflon coating that is sprayed on and is guaranteed for life against UV fading of the paint. Car never needs to be waxed (in fact, can't be waxed--the wax will come off). Pine pitch, bird stuff, everything that might get on the car is guaranteed to come off with a car wash. If I have an accident and have body panels repaired or replaced, they respray the new parts for no charge. Fabric protection and undercoating appear to be the usual thing.

My question is: What, if anything, is this worth? Does anyone have experience with this particular product? My car is Mystic Emerald and I do not have a garage, in case that affects your opinion. Thanks in advance for the advice!

·
X-Mod
1,585 Posts
If you ever have to get it repaired, the coating could be a problem both with paint adhesion and having to reapply the coating over the repair areas. New clearcoat paints do not fade noticeably anyway. Scotchguard in a spray can works for fabric protection. Undercoating holds in as much moisture as it seals out after a few years. Just my opinion.

·
Be very afraid...
4,511 Posts
It's probably already on there, or they wouldn't be pushing so hard to sell it to you. I've found that the two times the dealer pushed it a lot (and I still said no) it seemed to have been done anyway. Some of the treatments require annual resprays to, like Ziebart ... included in the price, but still requires your time/effort.

·
Be very afraid...
4,511 Posts
c5hardtop said:
skip it, no product allows you to never wax a car
Actually, our '92 Sentra had something like it (Ziebart) and I never waxed the car in 4 years (it was red, too) and water always beaded up and rolled off, paint always looked new. But they want too much $$ for it, that's why I won't do it again.

BTW, that car was t-boned in the first few months we had it, and the whole driver's side had to be repainted, and the insurance paid for reapplication of the Ziebart, and we never had a problem with the paint or coating.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts