The Nissan Club banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found great posts from 4 years ago, but all the links are dead. Lot's of people on there suggested using a Alti '06 VC to remedy the leakage problem. They were also supposed to be cheaper. I was seeing crazy prices like 47 bucks per side. Everything I look at gives me 99 or more dollars per side what gives?

Any kind souls out there willing to provide parts numbers and pricing for a 3rd gen Alti Valve covers?

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I had trouble with mine leaking, and bought some new cheap autoparts house brand gaskets, and used "the Right Stuff" sealant all around the valve cover, and it solved the problem.

Also, you might want to check your VVT valves at the front of the valve covers. Mine were leaking so I bought new gaskets for them on Ebay [I think it was around $10 for the pair], installed them, and problem solved.

If you do replace the VVT gaskets be SURE to pull the upper intake manifold for the inner VVT gasket install, as the first time I installed the inner gasket it actually fell out. I didn't even know it until I backed up the car, and found the gasket sitting in the driveway.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
VVT.. err..uh-huh.... yeah, not a mechanic sir, nor have I studied the parts of my car to know their names. I think what you're talking about is sealing the area over the spark plug wells so I don't get the dreaded "oil in the sparkplug wells" issue. If I'm correct then you're saying that some vendor actually sells replacement gaskets for this area. If that's the case why are so many people stating this is a non-serviceable part and that new valve covers need to be purchased?

Besides all my non-sense above, I am still looking for those "golden" prices that lot's of peeps on this forum dug up for the 06 alti 3.5 left and right valve covers. Anyone?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Besides all my non-sense above, I am still looking for those "golden" prices that lot's of peeps on this forum dug up for the 06 alti 3.5 left and right valve covers. Anyone?
Those prices are long gone. I believe it all has to do with supply and demand. I paid the '06 valve cover "golden" prices back when I had a '02 Maxima SE 6MT.

They have done nothing but increase in price over the years.

Thing is, if yours are NOT cracked, then just replace the gaskets. The reason they were being replaced at such a high rate back then was because the rear covers were cracking. I bought both. Figured why not since I'm in there tearing it apart anyhow.

Good luck with your search...

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
VVT.. err..uh-huh.... yeah, not a mechanic sir, nor have I studied the parts of my car to know their names. I think what you're talking about is sealing the area over the spark plug wells so I don't get the dreaded "oil in the sparkplug wells" issue. If I'm correct then you're saying that some vendor actually sells replacement gaskets for this area. If that's the case why are so many people stating this is a non-serviceable part and that new valve covers need to be purchased?

You need to learn about the names of the parts as it will help you do the repairs on car.

No, I'm not talking about the O-rings that go over the spark plug holes. Look up VQ35DE VVT image search, and you should see lots of pictures of what I'm talking about.

Unless you're willing to learn more about your car then you might as well take it to a mechanic, and HOPE they know what they are doing.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I had not planned to do the work myself, but I study every procedure that I or a mechanic that ask to do the job so I can be somewhat on the same page. I hate being BSed and most people won't go so far as me to walk through the process they're asking a mechanic to do; basically trusting them to address issues as they find them.

For instance this engine is known to wear "O rings" which I just learned a name for (ty M-train), but mine may not be leaking. If I ask a mechanic to change my Valve Cover Gaskets they are going to do exactly that -change my Valve Cover Gaskets, close it back up and whatever happens later not their problem. If I'm getting a guy to crack my engine open then I want him to look at everything while he's there and not just do the thing I asked him to ( I never understand this mentality). Sometimes in the cases where I'm flat broke I'll take on more advanced procedures, but I honestly hate it. I totally understand why guys drink beer when they work on cars, this stuff is pretty hard on my nerves. As a tech (not mechanic) Nothing feels worse to me then making something worse than before I came out to fix it. I have very high expectations, when I do happen to work on my vehicle I sometimes study for weeks like it's a cert I'm going for. I pour through all the different situations, I create plans A through D and even have hybrids of those plans ready based on what goes down.

If this had been something fairly simple, I'd of course do it myself, as my analness is only rivaled by my thriftiness, as things are, it's not looking good for me to save money on this particular procedure, so I would rather now focus on the things worth addressing with this area of the engine removed.

I never even thought about the plugs until I began studying all kinds of write-ups. So far I'm thinking I can probably do my front 3 plugs and leave the other 3 for a the mechanic that changes the valve covers. The VVT gasket(s) sounds like it should probably be done however, 1) I didn't understand anything about how it fell out on you M-train and 2) I did an image search and never really came across a pic of the gasket(s). Are you referring to the solenoid gasket?

Next up I'm still concerned about the O rings. If I don't replace the valve covers, don't I run the risk of oil leaking in there later down the road from poorly sealed O rings? Is it possible to just add some RTV around the O rings from the inside of the VCs to keep up the seal?

If I've missed some work that should be done in this area, feel free to say so, this is my idea and plan session to prep for what's to come. Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Can anyone answer if it would be acceptable to add more RTV or similar sealant to the underside of the o-rings in the valve cover to maintain the seal if I decide not to replace my valve covers?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts