The Nissan Club banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Jr. Lord Of Search
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
well, took my valve cover off today because it was leaking oil out the top (one of the gaskets around the bolts was melted or whatever) and I got it open only to find out the inside gaskets for the spark plugs were kaput. there was oil all over inside the #1 spark plug! what a performance knocker i am assuming. anyways, here's my question. how long should i let the RTV silicone sealent i used in conjunction with the gasket let sit before i use my car?

P.S: there was what looked like a bottle brush broken off in the valve cover where the pcv hose hooks on, is that normal or should i pull it out?

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
You know what? I just replaced the valve cover gasket today. PT helped me. I didn't have any grease and I've been hearing mixed responses...some saying that since it's plastic, you don't need it (nissan dealer parts department guy who got it for me) but the service manual says to use some kinda grease there (I forgot at the moment and don't have it on me). So I dunno...I'm gonna go clean the engine tonight or tomorrow and see if it still leaks.
I don't know what you're talking about on the pcv hose. I'll look again.
Jay

·
Jr. Lord Of Search
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
its in the metal nipple on the valve cover that the hose hooks onto, it looks like a bottle brush (even has the little handle...looks like someone was trying to clean it out but broke/cut the brush off inside)

·
Illest in Nebraska
892 Posts
I just pulled mine off today too (what a coincidence) matter of fact it's still off I painted the bastard and didn't have time to put it back on because I'm putting like 5 coats of clear so I'm gonna let it cure before I bolt it back down, and it was mad dark outside and I was hooking up and amp in between coats. (don't ask why i'm telling my life story ova hea I'm sippin on some sizzurp so you know how that goes. Peace !!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts