The Nissan Club banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is driving me nuts.
This occurs mainly when the car is cold.
Light throttle almost let the CVT bog down a bit and as the revs get back up to exactly 1500rpm there is a vibrate. Sounds like a heat shield type noise. The car does not vibrate.

This will only happen with the car in gear and while driving.
If you put the car in gear and hold it back with the brake while getting the revs up to 1500 it wont make the noise. It will also sometimes make the noise on decelerating to a stop.

Dealership has checked the catalyst heat shield and exhaust brackets under the car. I have checked the heat shields in the engine bay, placing bits of radiator hose rubber in places to try and dampen any noise but no luck.

One thing I have not done is driven the car without the serpentine belt to see if it could be flapping. It is a relatively new belt having been replaced about a year ago.

Any other ideas what this can be?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes that's what I have been thinking too.
The CVT has started to whine on certain occasions but no error codes logged.
I demonstrated the whine to the dealership but that on its own is not reason enough to do anything about it.
Nissan USA have become very strict about this.
A bunch of readings need to be taken and only if they are outside range will they action a transmission fluid cooler or replacement of the CVT. My reading were all normal.
I demonstrated the vibration to them too but they did not think transmission.
I have another 30k miles until the CVT warranty expires.

·
Registered
15 Posts
That's abit of bullshit man some dealers can be such stooges

In Australia we had a massive batch of R52 pathfinders amd L33 Altimas come through same issue no codes vibration throught the car and at first they said if you couldn't get it to play up tough luck but eventually they had so many of them that they just started replacing them all

Quick question have you checked all the welds on the heat sheilds like physically grabbed them?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The dealer actually tried really hard as they get paid to do these jobs.
Drove the car a number of times, service manage took it home over night but they could not reproduce the fault.
At one point the dealers had the authority to authorise the replacements but it started costing Nissan too much that they set up a special team who only handle CVT warranty issues.
Dealership said I should open a case with Nissan USA which is what I plan to do

I have tugged on the various heat shields that I can reach and they all seem tight.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yeah man no doubt if you have still got warranty and its a intermittent fault definitely hit up a techline (nissans major diagnosing/warranty team)

So long as you had a good service history there shouldn't be any hassles

1 - 6 of 6 Posts