The Nissan Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need help troubleshooting why Voice Recognition just stopped working. Dealer says it's a known issue and they are working to solve it with carriers. I'm not really satisfied with that.

This is a 2013 Altima that has worked fine with my iphone6 for 3 years.
Suddenly, 2 weeks ago voice recognition stopped.
No matter who I ask it to call, it responds with the same one contact repeatedly. The last contact in my phonebook.
This is a bluetooth connection.
The phonebook is accessible from the Altima because I can manually bring it up and turn the dial and call anyone in the book.
I can pick up my phone and ask Siri to make a call and she will and it runs through the Altima hands free
Not a phone or carrier issue I don't think. Just Voice Recognition from my Altima.
HELP
Thanks
Lynn

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
7,040 Posts
Lynn, I work for a carrier and I can guarantee you two things...the radio software (car Bluetooth stuff) in your Altima has not changed since you bought it. Apple has almost certainly released at least one if not 3 or more IOS software updates for your phone since you bought your car. You clearly have not changed. So the only variable here is the IOS firmware on your iphone...ergo it is at fault.

Since you have no control over the firmware that Apple gives to the carriers to push out to your devices....then Nissan would need to reach out to the carriers to have them request an updated/fixed firmware version from Apple to push back out to your device.

If you want to get mad at anyone, get mad at Apple.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
d0ugmac1
Thanks so much for taking the time to reply. I agree with you, nothing about the car system has changed.
I have talked with my carrier. They are also aware of this issue. We returned all the settings to original, rebooted the phone and all the usual steps. I believe that's about all the carrier can do with me as a consumer.

The carrier then hosted me over to Apple Support. I did have the latest Apple updates on my phone. The problem did not occur after an iOS update.
Lots of troubleshooting w/Apple. What we did find was that everything on the Apple side appears to work. Since Siri will make a call for me and run it through bluetooth/hands free, (iPhone is recognized and connected) and my phonebook is accessible manually in the car's system, it's only voice recognition (i.e., a particular name) that's not working.

Can a portion of the car software just malfuntion?
I'm not mad, just frustrated that there are several vendors involved, and I'm not sure any one of them is taking responsibility and working to fix it.

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
7,040 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Lynn, I work for a carrier and I can guarantee you two things...the radio software (car Bluetooth stuff) in your Altima has not changed since you bought it. Apple has almost certainly released at least one if not 3 or more IOS software updates for your phone since you bought your car. You clearly have not changed. So the only variable here is the IOS firmware on your iphone...ergo it is at fault.

Since you have no control over the firmware that Apple gives to the carriers to push out to your devices....then Nissan would need to reach out to the carriers to have them request an updated/fixed firmware version from Apple to push back out to your device.

Well, I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 20 and have the same issue. The voice recognition no longer works. It started very suddenly. I also occasionally have an issue where the Bluetooth while listening to an audiobook, stops working. Frustrating.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts