The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 350 Posts

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there anyone in the world doing the vq swap besides me and plan to finish! I have a 94 Altima and i removed the ka24de and ecm harness 2 weeks ago. I have a 95 vq30de that i put in the engine bay for measurements and fits like a glove. Also today i picked up a 95 vq engine harness, ecm, also the etc unit. If anyone has questions on what I am doing do so.

·
que es un altima?
415 Posts
Do the VQ engine mounts fit in the stock mounting locations or do you have to make adapters?

Also once you get the setup working, if you want more top end power swap in the intake manifold from a 2k-2k1 Maxima.

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
vq mounting

The transmions are the same so the vq trans mount will be the same but the vq motor is sorter than the ka so the passenger side motor mount bracket needs to be modofied. The bottom motor brase is different from the vq so a custom one has to be made. I am not making a custom one i am simply modofing the ka brace. I installed the wire harness today. I am currently waiting for the wire diagram for the 94 ka dash board harness diagram and the 95 vq wire harness diagram so i can splice the two together. The ka wire harness has 4 connectors than the ecm connector and the vq has one connector and the ecm harness. But the vq harness has the engine harness and transmion harness in one so i will be eliminating the trans harness in the altima.

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
trans

The vq and ka transmions are almost the same just one problem the ka starter mounts on the backside of the motor under the intake on the bell housing and the vq mounts on the trans. I dont think the ka trans can be used one the vq motor because the exhaust manifold is sitting were the ka motor starter would be. I do not if the bell housing are same or not I would have to remover the ka bell housing and the vq housing.

·
///M Time!
3,872 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
According to this wiki the vq30de came in the Maxima and I30 and the VQ35 comes in a whole bunch of current cars.
yea and from what i hear the I30 is the best car for 1st gen altimas to use as far as parts go

I dont mean to be a party pooper but wouldnt just going turbo and doing internals b cheaper?

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
not for me

everyone is now doing turbo ka and starting to do sr swaps also ca16dets. But there is no one on the net finishing the vq swap they all thing it cost to much but in reality if you do the custom fab work and the wireing your self it wouldnt cost as much as you would think. I got the vq with trans at a junkyard by me and costed $90 with a 1 year warranty the engine harness and trans harness with ecm and etc and front feul rail for $100. that is now totaling me $190. the trans axels on the ka are the same on the vq trans. So no need for new cv axels. They fit right in.

·
Registered
216 Posts
everyone is now doing turbo ka and starting to do sr swaps also ca16dets. But there is no one on the net finishing the vq swap they all thing it cost to much but in reality if you do the custom fab work and the wireing your self it wouldnt cost as much as you would think. I got the vq with trans at a junkyard by me and costed $90 with a 1 year warranty the engine harness and trans harness with ecm and etc and front feul rail for $100. that is now totaling me $190. the trans axels on the ka are the same on the vq trans. So no need for new cv axels. They fit right in.
o ok nice i ll like to see that then bc yea alot of ppl start and never finish. I heard of one guy in NY who finished it but I dont believe it. They say he kept breaking motor mounts, axles or something stupid....Finding the room should b no problem because the Altima in Japan is called the Blueburd and they have front mounted turbos while the US doesn't. The engine didnt have to shift over a lil bit? I heard there would be welding involved.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Would the VQ35 fit as easily as the VQ30? Is the performance or potential substantially better?

In my area there are a ton of mid to late 90's Maximas (and 1st & 2nd gen Altimas) on the road which I'm sure means there are some in the junkyards, so it should be easy and possibly cheap to get parts.

Aaron - Can you post pics of the parts you had to custom fab? Also, could you give some pointers on what parts I will need to snag while at the junkyard?

-Ryan

P.S. Didn't mean to hijack your thread...

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
the vq35

I dont believe that the vq35 would fit for the fact that it has .5 displacement. That .5 displacement is in the motor and also in the heads. the vq30 intake manifold is about 3/4 of an inch from the firewall in the altima. I am not sure if the intake on the vq35 is bigger but I have a feeling it is because of the power it produces.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I dont believe that the vq35 would fit for the fact that it has .5 displacement. That .5 displacement is in the motor and also in the heads. the vq30 intake manifold is about 3/4 of an inch from the firewall in the altima. I am not sure if the intake on the vq35 is bigger but I have a feeling it is because of the power it produces.

You guys may want to start visiting Maxima.org because its alot of information on their regarding the VQ30 and VQ35. I may be wrong but I could have sworn that I read somewhere that the VQ30 and VQ35 where the same block pretty much which is why you can swap a VQ35 in the Maxima's that came with the 3.0!

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
95 maxima inside and outside eletrical harness

Tomorrow I will be removing the entire inside and outside electrical harness out of the altima and replacing it with the 95 maxima. I have found out it will cost about $120 for the complete harness with all fuse boxes and relays but if you think about it, it would be less of a hassle than to splice in the maxima harness to the altima harness. There are over 43 wires that have to be spliced in. Injectors, relays, fans, cluster and etc.

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
trany auto

I am only using the auto because there is a lot of wiring that has to be done and the car came auto. Once I have it running and driving it around for about a year then I will Buy the manual trany and swap the auto out.

1 - 20 of 350 Posts